Epilogue

It had been two years since the barrier had been broken and Frisk had disappeared.

She'd gone down as a sort of legend among the monsters- like a mystical being in a story, it was often debated whether or not she actually existed. The story of the human who had supposedly broken the barrier and saved the monsters was saved for a tale around a campfire, told with a grin and dramatic gestures.

Nobody knew about the resets- except Sans, and of course Frisk herself.

Her friends missed her desperately, but eventually accepted her disappearance as part of the natural process of moving on. Everyone had felt it as they made their first steps on the surface- the chance for change, for a clean slate. Besides, Frisk must've had a home and family before she went to the Underground, and many assumed she had returned there.

Sans knew she hadn't, but he said nothing of it. He just smiled and made bad jokes and acted like everything was the same. In all honesty, he didn't know how to do anything else.

Grillby's had, predictably, been moved to the surface and served as a sort of monster locale, though the occasional human wandered in as well. Sans, also predictably, was a regular at the new Grillby's, always lightening the air with his seemingly boundless cheer. Well... it was a good facade, if nothing else.

It took two years for anything to change.

The two-year anniversary of the barrier being broken had been a huge celebration for the monsters- fireworks, gift-giving, parties and the like. Two days after, the festivities had almost completely died down, and Grillby's was back to serving mainly locals and regulars.

She blew in like a rainstorm, and as she took the seat beside Sans he didn't even have to look over to know who it was.

"Hey. Been a while, kid," he said, turning to Frisk.

He had wanted to be angry with her- had wanted her to know the pain he'd had to endure in their separation, but it fell away when he saw her face. She was smiling slightly, hopefully, and there was a light in her eyes that hadn't been there in the Underground. He hadn't understood before what it was she had gone to look for, but he thought he could see it now- could see that she had found it.

"I'm nineteen," she responded, grinning, "I'm hardly a kid anymore."

He forgave her in an instant.

"I hope you have some good stories for me," he said teasingly.

"Oh yeah, definitely," Frisk replied eagerly, nodding and leaning in conspiratorially.

Sans leaned in as well. "And I want to hear all of them," he said, "But there's something I have to do first." Cupping a hand behind her neck, he brought their faces together. He couldn't kiss her exactly- there was the problem of skeletons not having lips, after all- but the effect was the same.

When he pulled away, her face was an almost hilariously bright shade of red, and he chuckled.

"I missed you," Frisk said, more solemnly, "A lot."

Sans' expression softened, and for a moment the pair just looked at each other, taking it in for the first time in two years. Finally, he spoke again.

"Welcome home, Frisk."