15- Determination

When Frisk opened her eyes, she was standing in what appeared to be a wide-open valley, but an eerie gray fog obscured her vision in any direction. She looked down, seeing flowers around her feet, and crouched to look closer. If not for the odd gray light they would have been radiant, but the mist dulled the colors, and a dark reddish substance dotted them.

Frisk reached forward to touch one, but it shriveled at her touch, darkening and curling in on itself. She pulled her hand back and stood up. "Chara?" she called.

The child appeared before her so quickly that Frisk stumbled backwards. Chara looked as she had when Frisk had first broken the barrier- her eyes were a luminous red and surrounded by dark circles, and her skin was pale. She looked less human and more like a demon. "Why are you here?" she snapped.

"I want you out of my head," Frisk replied firmly.

"And how are you going to do that?" Chara asked, lips curling into a smirk.

"I'm going to ask," Frisk said, straight to the point.

Chara laughed. "You're hilarious."

"Please," Frisk said, an edge of desperation in her voice. She dropped to her knees, and then to her hands, lowering her head. "I'm begging you. Haven't you caused enough pain already?"

"Now that's pathetic," Chara mused, summoning a knife out of the air and twirling it in her hand. "Stand up, you coward."

"I don't want to fight you," Frisk said slowly as she stood.

"Of course you don't. You've always been a weak-hearted little pacifist," Chara said conversationally, "I'm not going to leave your mind. But while we're here, I'd say this is the perfect opportunity to get you out of mine."

Chara slashed at Frisk, who jumped out of the way. A memory came back to her, of when she had been lying on the bottom of a cliff in Hotland.

"You're only dying because you're letting yourself. You owe them all more than to just let go." Sans had said to her.

She had realized while fighting Asgore that she had lost the will to live- it had been gone for so long she had almost forgotten about it. But things were different now. She could no longer afford to believe that her death held all the answers.

Frisk felt it return to her- the will to live, the need to survive. As Chara's knife soared towards her heart, a feeling flowed through her, like blood rushing to her limbs.

She was filled with determination.

FILE SAVED.

The knife hit its mark and her soul shattered, pieces of it reflecting the light like crimson glass.

LOAD.

Frisk returned to the moment before, stepping out of the way of Chara's knife. Chara stumbled, looking at Frisk in shock and then horror as the realization hit her.

"No!" she screamed, attacking Frisk with more speed and ferocity than ever before. She summoned a second knife and whirled around, slashing in one continuous motion. It was no use.

LOAD. LOAD. LOAD.

"That's enough," Frisk finally said, "You can't kill me." Chara stepped back, panting from exertion.

"But what now? You can't kill me either," Chara answered defiantly, raising her chin with a smirk.

"Good thing I can," came a familiar voice from behind Frisk, and a huge vine shot towards Chara, impaling her in the stomach.

"W-why?" Chara choked out, blood beginning to spread around the wound, and Frisk whirled around to face the attacker. It was Flowey.

"How are you here?" Frisk managed to ask, shock nearly rendering her speechless.

"Where Chara goes, I go," Flowey answered blandly, "Or at least that's how it used to be." Another vine shot out from behind Chara, stabbing her in the back.

"You?!" Chara whispered, eyes widening, as Flowey's form began to change. The vines disappeared and Chara fell, Frisk running to her to catch her. When she looked back at Flowey, Asriel stood where the flower had been only moments before.

"It's me, your best friend," Asriel said, smiling slightly. He began to walk towards them, and to Frisk's surprise, Chara smiled back, tears in her eyes.

"It's been a long time," she murmured, "Do you know where we are?"

Asriel glanced around. "This is where I died," he said, and as he spoke the fog began to lift, revealing a little village surrounded by flowers in all directions.

"It's fitting, I think," Asriel continued, holding out a hand to Chara, who took it, standing up. "We're both long past our times."

Chara collapsed against him, hugging him and sobbing. "I don't want to die!" she screamed, "Please! I don't want to die!" She had already begun to disappear at the edges.

"I know," Asriel replied, hugging her back, voice hitching, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry." Within moments she was gone completely, soul shattering into pieces. One landed on Asriel's outstretched hand and he stared at it, tears streaming down his face.

"Asriel, I'm so.... so sorry," Frisk said wretchedly, knowing that the words would never be enough.

"Don't be sorry," Asriel replied, turning to her. His smile was heartbreaking. "You showed me what needed to be done. So thank you." With that last word, he disappeared as well, leaving Frisk kneeling alone on the bloodied flowers.

When she awoke once again to reality, there were tears in her eyes.

A/N: Is it bad that I almost cried while writing this? Probably because Asriel is my precious angel child but heh

Anyway

Hope you all enjoyed this chapter! Sorry for any tears that I cause. This story isn't quite over yet, so stay tuned my smol muffins :3