// f o u r //

She said "I got a problem with your shoes and your tunes/ But I might move in"/ and "I thought you were straight, now I'm wondering"

Michael used to dream about waking up next to Ashton. He remembers having his schoolboy crush about the older man. He couldn't go to bed without dreaming about Ashton. He wanted to curl into Ash's arm and live their lives out together.

Waking up at six in the morning with Ashton in his arms isn't something Michael wanted anymore. He knew it was going to happen yet it still shocked him. He looked down in the dim light after turning off his alarm. The tan skin of his ex-partner was radiating warmth and Mike simply wanted to close his eyes again.

He didn't, though. He pulled himself away from Ashton, his tired body making its way to his en suite bathroom. He had things to do, things to think, and reminiscing on the last decade wasn't something he needed.

Michael didn't look at himself in the mirror as he pulled on his work clothes. He didn't look back in bed as he made his way downstairs. He didn't look his son in the eyes when they sat in the kitchen together.

"Is he still here?" Tim asked quietly as he stirred his soggy cereal around in his bowl.

Michael ran a hand over his face. "Yeah, he's still here," his father confirmed, doing the same with his own breakfast. He rolled up the sleeves of his button down, checking on their time. "We need to leave in five minutes."

"Are you with him again?" The fourteen-year-old asked, ignoring his father counting down their time.

"No, we aren't going to get back together."

"Then why is he here?" Timothy egged his father on, just wanting him to admit they slept together. He just wants his father to admit he did something wrong for once in his life.

"It's doesn't concern you." He stood up, dumping his half-filled breakfast into the sink knowing the maid would be by to clean it up soon enough. "I'll be waiting outside."

Timothy sighed. He loves Michael endlessly, but Michael always does this thing where he doesn't tell Tim anything. Tim wants to know, he likes knowing—much like his father.

Ashton woke up a little before eleven, feeling refreshed in the soft sheets. He could hear Michael sighing from downstairs. A swipe a nostalgia fell over him, all the memories of waking up to the sound of Michael and Timothy filling his mind.

Michael opened up his bedroom door, seeing the brunette wrapped up in the sheets. "Let me drive you home," he said, walking in and closing the door behind him.

Ashton nodded. He sat up, reaching down to find his clothes.

Mike sat on the edge of his bed, the bed didn't feel so lonely when it was more than just him. "I'm sorry, we shouldn't have done anything." Michael pulled at his work tie. He was wasting his lunch break on Ashton, something inside of him was telling him it wasn't really a waste, though.

He shook his head. "It's fine," his voice was still low and rough as he only just woke up. Ashton got his jeans back on before getting out of bed. He grabbed his sweater and headed towards the en suite bathroom.

"I called my lawyer," Michael told him, the two separated from the closed bathroom door.

"Yeah?"

"We're gonna see what they think about you officially seeing Timothy." Michael played with the spinner ring on his index finger, twisting it around and around a few times. "I think you should have some rights again, but I don't know."

Mike didn't want to call Ashton a liar, but he honestly didn't know if Ashton was telling the truth.

"That's fine." Ashton came from the bathroom, looking a little more fresh than before. "Let's go."

Michael led him downstairs and out to the driveway, opening the passenger seat and letting his ex-lover in first. "Where do you live?"

"Across from E. 56th and Prospect," he responded, tucking his shirt into the waistband of his jeans. "I know it's gross, whatever."

"I'm sure it's fine." Michael pulled from his driveway, turning the music back on to drone out any conversation Ashton might want to carry.

Ashton was looking at Michael, knowing Mike was watching his every move. Ashton knew that Michael would do anything for Ashton, Ash knew that he now had Michael wrapped around his fingers for good.

Michael didn't realize that, though. He thought the simple things like worrying about Ashton's sketchy apartment was normal. He thought that walking him to his door and making sure he got in safely was normal. He thought that, after all this time, being in love with his ex was normal.

Do you think Ashton has good in him or is he really just using Michael?

Will Michael realize Ashton's intentions?