// s i x t e e n //

16. And oh what a let down,/ And I don't seem to be having any effect now/ Falling all over the place

Calum let himself into the Clifford house, kicking his work shoes off in the laundry room before making his way to the back of the house. Michael told him that Tim would either be watching reality television in the living room, or painting in his bedroom.

The sound of Real Housewives of Atlanta playing through their surround sound system made Cal pretty sure what Timothy was doing.

"Dad?" Tim called. He sat up, not used to the silence. He heard the garage open and everything, Michael was usually much louder than the current sound state.

Calum walked into the living room, "Just me." He leant against the frame of the archway, looking over at Tim eating a vegan bowl of pecan ice cream.

"Oh, hey." Tim tried not to sound disappointed or anything, he liked having the company of Calum but he'd rather have the company of his father.

"Your dad is working on a big case and sent me over to entertain you." Calum took off his work jacket, throwing it on a coffee table. "Let's get dinner. Go get dressed and I'll clean up everything here." He held out his hand, pointing to the mess of empty food containers and his dish of what once was ice cream.

"You're trying to tell me I can't walk around NYU in sweats?" Tim asked, a hand to his chest as he faked offense.

Calum grabbed his hand, getting him up. "Wear that sweater I got you for your birthday, it'll look nice." He started to pick up dishes, moving them to the kitchen.

Timothy did as told with an exaggerated sigh. He was excited to not spend another night at home, though, especially not alone.

Ten minutes later, they were sat in Calum's Land Rover. Tim was in a grey cashmere sweater, the seam half-tucked into his skinny jeans. Cal thought he looked great.

"What do you even do for my dad?" The fifteen-year-old asked as he got comfortable in the tanned leather seats.

Cal pulled from their desolate driveway, hoping he remembered directions from here to downtown campus. "Kind of everything. I'm mostly his assistant, kind of like a paid-intern."

"You're in college, though, right?" Tim asked, surprised that he didn't know anything about the nineteen-year-old.

"Yeah, for business. I have classes in the morning usually, so your dad lets me come in to work whenever I've got time," he paused to merge onto the correct highway, "he's a good guy."

"I haven't seen him since yesterday evening."

Cal licked over his front teeth, "Well, today he's wearing a lavender button down with this ugly striped tie. His black slacks have an avocado spread stain from his lunch. He was cranky today because his secretary overbooked him."

"That's ugly."

Calum laughed, "I think he's cranky because he didn't see you. He's like that when he doesn't see you."

Tim shrugged, not sure what to say.

"He loves you so much, Timmy." Calum gripped the steering wheel tighter as their highway rounded New York City, traveling fast to New York University. "My dad is one of the partners in the firm, too. I truly know how you're feeling."

"I know Dad is trying his hardest but trying isn't always enough," he spoke the truth, he spoke all the thoughts that have been floating around in his head. His friends parents are home for dinner, his friends parents greet them in the morning and pack their lunch, his friends parents always know where their kids are. Michael is trying, but that's not enough for Tim.

"Your dad needs ten more shares until he owns half the company, at that point he'll be able to control a lot more. I remember when my own father reached half, it got so much better." Calum's voice was soft and soothing as he spoke, "You've got me until that happens, though."

Tim looked over at Calum, smiling at him. "We're both the products of a single, big-shot lawyer parent, hm?"

Cal nodded with a hum of a laugh as he pulled off an exit. He stopped at the red light at the end, turning to face the teenager. Tim looked so peaceful as the orange street light above them shown on half of his face. His curved nose was pointed downwards as he looked at something on his phone.

Calum has never seen such a pretty boy, he wants to reach over and entwine their hands but Timothy is 15—and his boss' son.

So instead, Calum makes his right turn into the city, pointing out which buildings he has classes in to the boy. Everything felt so care-free when the two boys were together.

It's the same way Michael felt with Ashton all those years ago. 

Do you want anything to happen between Calum and Timothy?

In the short description, I wrote "Everything feels different, but nothing has changed." Keep that all in mind...,,,just saying.