// t w e n t y - e i g h t //

28. And oh what a let down,/ And I don't seem to be having any effect now/ Falling all over the place

    One of Michael's big, personal clients ended up in jail around 9:30 on a Thursday night. He had to go in, solve the issue.

    This meant that Michael had to trust Ashton with his pride and joy: Timothy.

    "Making him dinner," Michael informed his partner, "make sure he does his homework, bond with him. I don't know. Just don't fuck up." Michael was throwing papers from his at-home work desk and into his briefcase as Ashton leant on the beams of the door.

    "What if he bullies me?"

    Michael looked up, rolling his eyes. "He's a child, of course he's going to bully you. Deal with it." Mike has always been a blunt person, especially under stress.

    He buttons his suit jackets and starts to head out, yelling a quick farewell to his two loves.

    And, just like that, Michael is gone for the night.

    "Can we order pizza or are you going to pretend to know how to cook?" Tim asks as he gets up from the living room couch.

    "I can make food, I'm a great chef." Ashton digs through their kitchen cabinets, his fingers crawling over labels.

    "That sounds fake, but alright." Timothy sits down at their dining room table as he watches his birth giver walk around the kitchen and boil a few pots of water.

    Ashton looks so innocent to the eye, Tim doesn't understand how such a charming human being could ruin his father.

    Ash's hair is back in a bun, strands of brown hair sticking out here and there. He's humming to himself as his bare feet cause the hardwood floors to creak until his one-hundred-and-some pounds.

    "So, what's with you?" Tim asks in a monotone.

    "Hm?" Ash responds with a buzz.

    "You realize that I know everything, right?"

    The golden-eyed man nods, "Of course."

    "I know you're screwing over my father for your own good, Ashton."

    Ash turns around, quirking an eyebrow and tapping at his chin, "You're mistaken then." He leant against a cabinet, waiting for the boiling water to bubble.

    "I'm not an idiot."

    "I didn't say you were."

    Tim breathes out a sigh, "I don't like you. I don't hate you, but I don't like you. I know you're using my father, I know you're going to leave the second he needs you most." Timothy has built up his speech in his diary, he knows what he's going to say and exact when. He has rehearsed this for so long.

    "I'm sorry you don't like me, but I'm here to stay." Ashton smiled, "I mean, I'm on your side here."

    "That's bullshit."

    The brunette shook his head as he turned around, dumping lasagna noodles into a few warm pots. "I haven't told your father about that Calum boy sleeping over last Monday, have I?"

    Tim's stomach dropped as Ashton's words flew like a bird. "That's not true—none of that is true."

    Ash rocked on his heels, "I go for a run every other day at 5 in the morning, Timothy. I see a tan Land Rover in our driveway and your door is locked. Lying isn't going to get you far."

    "Don't blackmail me, you psychopath."

    Ash clenched his jaw, "I want to be your friend, I'm trying. I'm trying really hard to be your friend."

    Timothy rolled his eyes and pushed his seat out, standing up and preparing to leave the room. "Tell me when dinner is ready."

    And, just like both of his father, one minute Timothy was there and the next he was not.

Do you think Tim is being too harsh?

Was Ashton right to lowkey blackmail Tim?

Do you think Tim and Ashton will every get along?