The Year is 2024

Chapter 1

Albus Severus Potter is returning to Hogwarts School Of Witchcraft and Wizardry for his 7th year of schooling. His brother, James, had graduated the year before and his younger sister, Lily Luna Potter, and his younger cousin Hugo Weasley, were sorted into Gryffindor 5 years ago. The Hogwarts Express huffed and puffed as it pulled out of the station again, trudging along the iron rails towards the infamous Hogwarts Castle -- he wore a silver striped green necktie.

At first, he had dreaded to be sorted into the Slytherin house. James had teased him for the first few weeks of his first year, but eventually his entire family grew to accept Albus's difference -- his father, Harry Potter, was first to smile at the news. A lot has changed for Albus over the years. He grew into a handsome 7th year student, taller than his mother and sister, but still just a hair shorter than his older brother. He kept his hair cropped above his ears, and his vibrant emerald eyes sparkled under September sun. His closest friends, Isabella McGonagall, who sat beside him on the train, grew into a fair and kind friend. Her dark hair was spiraled into a bun atop her head.

She kicked her legs back and forth, already eager for the freedoms that came with going to school away from home -- even if her great aunt was the headmistress. He tried to study himself through the reflection on the glass windows instead of her. She grew up to be too pretty, and he hated how the other boys stared at her, he hated how he cared so much, he especially hated how she smiled like it wasn't a big deal. Stupid teenager stuff, he cursed himself in his thoughts.

"I heard from some of the other students, Albus," Isabella nudged his shoulder, "I heard that some of the professors at Hogwarts went missing. They said it's in the Daily Prophet." He broke him from his thoughts, and he turned away from the window to see her. Her golden eyes were locked solely on his.

"Yeah?" was all he could get himself to say.

She nodded her head wildly, like this was the tastiest form of gossip she could get her hands on,"You would be surprised about which ones they were saying left; Slughorn, Flitwick, Hurrwood--"

"Hurrwood?" Albus's eyebrows scrunched together, "But she's been holding the Defense Against the Dark Arts position since we were in our first year. She wouldn't give that up."

"Who knows," Isa shrugged, "Maybe she fell madly in love with some hot Australian and rode off with him to go on wild adventures."

"You've been reading too many fantasy books, Isa," Said a pale blonde boy as he slid into the cabin with them. He sat in the bench seat across from them, throwing his bag onto the cushion beside him. Albus knew when he saw him that he was kicked out of his cabin and had no choice but to take the only empty seat across from Isabella.

"Glad you could join us, Scorpius ," Isabella faked a smile. It came through her face seemingly genuine, but Albus could see right through her. She continued, "I had almost thought that you would have finally gotten a cabin alone."

"It's almost like the specifically look for me," he sighed, Leaning back against the headrest, "Every year they do this, and every year I have to swallow what little pride I have to sit with your ridiculous gaggle." He scoffed, "At least looney Lysander isn't here, I can save myself the sanity."

Albus scowled, glaring daggers at the boy. But he didn't say anything, he didn't fight with Scorpius because he knew exactly what Scorpius was going through these past years. Bullies loved to pick on the falling Malfoy family when all they had left was wealth and a flimsy promise that they could, in fact, change from disgraced Death Eaters to generous civilians. He knew Scorpius 's father was struggling the most to swallow his pride.