Piers 1 thru 15

Chapter 4

Isabella had sensed Albus was distant when they returned to the Common Room after a long day of class. She wondered if he had received an owl that morning and didn't tell her. They turned in their applications to go to Durmstrang on their way back to class -- vowing should one of the three of them not make the list that they would all stay back -- but he hadn't said anything to her since Levesque's bitter class that morning. The sun was setting, turning the windows of the Slytherin Common Room a lime green as the sun's light hit the lake just right.

She followed behind Albus, Scorpius right behind her to avoid Goyle's lurking gang. They had stalked him as if waiting for a wounded wolf to fall behind their intimidating pack. They went towards their usual corner seat by the plexi windows, Isabella had her hands clasped behind her back to avoid brushing by a few of the confused first years. She wanted to ask him, talk to him about what was making him so bitter. But he barely acknowledged her.

She almost want to escape from the awkwardness.

"Charms was rather interesting," said Scorpius, trying to break the tension when they arrived at their seats, "Except Flitwick looks as if he is to keel over any day now." No one said anything back. "Well," he leaned back in his chair, defeated, "This is awkward. Should I just go and let you two work out whatever it is you need to work out?"

"There's nothing to work out," Albus said.

"Yes there is," she corrected him, "Albus, what's going on?"

"There's nothing to talk about, Isa," Albus said.

"Should I go?" Scorpius moved to leave.

"No, there is nothing to talk about," Albus snapped.

"Albus-"

"ISABELLA!" sang an unusually nasally voice. Scorpius had to strain his neck to see Piers waving from the common room doorway.

"Oh bother," she huffed, "But don't think I'm giving up, Albus. You will tell me sooner or later." He huffed as she walked away.

"You know," Scorpius drawled, "That would have been an amazing time to tell her."

"Why are you so interested?" Albus said, shrinking into his chair, "It's not like we're friends."

"I have no where else to go," he replied, tilting his head to the side,"and I'd like to think we're friends, brought together by a kind and lovely goddess. Isa perhaps?" Albus muttered a curse under his breath. "I'm kidding," Scorpius laughed, "mostly. You really have to lighten up. Do you have any idea what jealousy is going to get you? Stress and lines on your forehead. You're 17, you don't need lines on your face just yet. Just ask her out, take her to Hogsmeade, get sugar high off your arses! You really have nothing to lose." Albus muttered something again. "What was that?"

"I said I can't," Albus hissed, louder than he meant to, catch the eyes of some passerbyers, "It's part of the deal with Piers." He sighed, almost relieved to get that off his chest, before falling on his side with exhaustion. Scorpius could tell he has been holding in this insignificant little detail so he didn't have to admit to anything.

Scorpius laughed, "You Potter kids are funny." Then he understood. This stupid deal was what was saving him from being shredded alive in his sleep. Albus Potter was making a noble sacrifice for Scorpius Malfoy because a girl told him too. He didn't know if to be flattered, or disgusted he was the damsel in distress -- of all people! He looked over his shoulder, seeing as Isabella through her head back to laugh. Scorpius was amazed by her. She went from worried friend to mindless flirt in a matter of seconds -- he was astonished she was even the same person.