Means for Celebration

Chapter 6

Albus had to give himself kudos for actually winning an argument with Minerva McGonagall. So far, he only knows of one other person to do it -- MaryAnna Hurrwood. He was so excited about his achievement, he had practically skipped to Potions class. The potions was deep under the castle, where it was dark and no light could sneak in and ruin a brew. Albus was grinning when he sat between Scorpius and Isabella at their work bench just before Slughorn walked in without a word. Isabella leaned towards him, one of her curls falling out of her bun. In brushes her cheek, but she didn't dare dash it aside. Albus was almost tempted to do it for her.

It would only be a touch. Just to move her hair away from her face.

"Whats got you so happy?" she said, studying his face.

"I got Piers seat to Durmstrang," he said. He didn't need to elaborate on all the other nonsense that happened -- about Hurrwood and Death Eaters. If anything, the thought of danger was far from his mind. He got to spend 3 months alone with Isabella.

And Scorpius. He couldn't forget Scorpius.

"How did you do it?" Scorpius asked, eager as if he were about to get in on the biggest held kept secret in the world, "This is Headmistress McGonagall. The lady is as stiff and unmoving as the Great Pyramids of Giza!" Then his eyes flickered to Isabella, "No offense."

"None taken," she replied a little bitterly.

"Alright, class!" Slughorn finally spoke from the front of the room, for culdrens are in front of him, each with bubbling liquid. "We're going to get started. Come over here and took a look at what we got."

The class scrambles to be in front of one another, looking over each other's shoulders to see the cauldron. Albus let Isabella stand in front of him, even if he was going to be distracted by how close they were standing. Four cauldrons, each bubbling over a small fire. The first looked like molten silver, bubbling and sparkling with divinity. The second had a black foam barely touching the lip of the pot, threatening to spill over the side. Albus recognized the third as the Cure for Boils, a translucent, stilled liquid that captured the beauty of the stars.

"Do any of you know what this one is?" Slughorn waved his hand over the last one, the smallest of all the pots and by far the most compelling. It held a faint aura, almost a glowing halo around the pot, and sprinkled with flecks of amber orange.

"I know this one," whispered a Gryffindor in the front, "I can't seem to remember..."

"I would be surprised if you did," Slughorn chuckled, "This is a Forgetfulness Potion. Now does anyone know how to brew this particular potion? It's in you books, page 491."

"I forgot," joked a Slytherin.

"Which reminds me," Scorpius whispered with a devilish smirk, "Did you ever find Piers?"

"I forgot!" Isabella gasped, putting a hand to her lips.

"Ms. McGonagall, is there something you'd like to share with the class?" Slughorn said, raising an eyebrow. Her face flushed red and her lips sealed shut.

Scorpius smoothly covered for her and tried to redirect the conversation back towards the potions, "Ah, Professor, we were just admiring your extensive knowledge on the... What was it again?"

"I know a charmer when I see one, Mr. Malfoy," said Slughorn, "and I'm not sure if I want to punish your house for your antics -- or perhaps reward it for teaching you so well." Malfoy smirked. "I suppose I can do both. See me after class." Then his smirked faltered before disappearing entirely.