Durmstrang

Chapter 7

It wasn't till he got on the train did Albus realize Professor Hurrwood was running out of time. He didn't even think about the real threats until it was time to leave -- damn him be excited about spending an entire three months with Isabella. Sure, he'd have to go to school with the Durmstrang boys, he has to tolerate Scorpius, he has to figure out the whole Death Eaters and death looming threats. But he got to spend his time figuring it out with Isabella. Just before they got on the train, Piers caught up with them.

"Scorpius!" he shouted, "I-" realized everyone was staring at him. "I wanted to say before you go, I'm impressed with your Polyjuice potion. The average potion usually only lasts for a few hours, but you got it to last an entire school day. I mean, it takes an entire month to brew it. You'll have to teach me how you did it. And-" He hesitated, "I'm sorry for trying to turn you into a cockroach yesterday."

Scorpius laughed, "It's no big deal. I sorry I had to use it on you." They both chucked awkwardly before they looked to Albus for help.

"Good luck on your classes, Piers," Albus said.

"Tell Isabella thank you from me," he said, "Even if it only lasted 24 hours."

His hands clenched, "Yeah." And they boarded the train.

Albus didn't tell Isabella, when he passed her in the hall, what Piers wanted him to. He simply smiled, his mind elsewhere. When they found an empty Cabin, Scorpius and Albus collapsed on their beds. Simultaneously, they let out a heavy sigh. Durmstrang was ahead of them, and when the train started moving, Hogwarts was behind them. Scorpius, for one had a question burning his mind.

"Are you going to enter in the tournament?" He said, turning his head to see Albus on the opposing bunk.

"Everyone expects me to," he responded, "But I don't want to. It's not really my thing."

"I know I won't," said Scorpius. There was a much bigger test for him at work, "My father begged me to though. 'It'll help with the Malfoy name,' he said. It's all he can think about since Voldemort."

Albus almost forgot, "But the Yule Ball... Think I can get Isa to go with me?"

"Unless I get her first," Scorpius teased. Albus didn't even want to use his energy to glare. He knew his friend was joking. Wait. Did he just call Scorpius his friend? It wasn't like he trusted Scorpius, he was just kind of there to fill that empty space when Isabella wasn't around. He wasn't sure if to be grateful or...

"Albus," Scorpius looked but up at the ceiling, his hands cradling the nape of his neck, "Durmstrang is going to be awesome."

"Sure," was all he could say. He knew the Triwizard Tournament wasn't what it was all cracked up to be. People die in the games, the tests are impossible, and Professor Hurrwood was fighting Death Eaters inside the castle.

"What are you thinking about?" Scorpius again tried to start a conversation.

"Nothing," he replied simply. Scorpius didn't pry. They settled into their bunks and just let the train pull them closer to Durmstrang. The tournament came closer with every passing second. Albus has wished he wrote a letter to his family before leaving, or at least said something to Lily, but his mind was preoccupied.

"Hey," Scorpius sat up, "Let check out the train cars. If we're going to be here for hours, might as well see if we can get our hands on any good snacks or something."

"I suppose," anything to get his mind off Death Eaters. Albus left his coat on his bed and followed his blonde haired friend out of their cabin. Scorpius ran into Rose Weasley as he turned the corner. Her fiery red hair was a blur before he collided and stumbled back against Albus.

"Hey!" She whinned, running her forehead, "Bloody hell, Malfoy. Can't you watch where you are going?"

"Hey Rose!" Albus pushed Scorpius off him and waved to his cousin.

"Oh, hey Albus. I didn't think you were on this trip," she replied, tilting her head to the side to see past Scorpius, "Didn't Lily say something about Aunt Ginny not letting you or something. Did you do something bad?" Her cheeks tinted pink, "Can I know about it?"

Albus scoffed. Rose always had an ear about good gossip. Especially when it had anything to do with her favorite cousins: James and Albus Potter. Because she and Lily are in the same house, she got all the juicy details from her and always pried for more.

"It wasn't me this time," Albus said.

She snickered, "This time? Was is, perhaps, dear James?"

"I'm not sure."

"Well if you find out, you let me know, alright? I have to be the first person you tell," she said, then glared at Scorpius, "Even before Malfoy here. I don't know why you keep him around. You know Lily doesn't approve and I think-"

"Nobody asked you what you think, Red," Scorpius interjected.

"Excuse me?" she cocked an eyebrow and crossed her arms.

"We'll just be going now," Albus tried pushing Scorpius forward.

"Oh nonononono," she laughed, "I want to hear what he has to say. The weasel doesn't know who he's messing with."

"Rose-"

"You want to know what I have to say," Scorpius crossed his arms and smirked, "I say that this weasel doesn't give a damn what you think about me. Do me a favor and keep your stupid remarks behind your pretty little teeth, grow up a little and buzz off." Shit, he thought, did he just say pretty?

"Excuse me?" She hissed again.

"You are excused," Scorpius pushed past her and continued down the hall towards the next car. Albus stood there, flabbergasted.

"Albus!" she whined, "You're just going to let him get away with that! He's in your house! You can do something, can't you?"

"I have to admit," Albus chuckled, "He's right about one thing: You really need to grow up."

"That is no way to treat your cousin. When Aunt Ginny finds out about this-"

"Rose, please," he sighed, "Look, I'm sorry about Malfoy. But he really hasn't done anything wrong. Let it go and -- for Merlin's sake -- bring your voice down about three notches. Thanks." He blew her a kiss and followed after Scorpius.

***