Chapter 3

After grabbing my suitcase from baggage claim, I looked around the lobby of the airport, searching for whoever was there to pick me up. My heart was pounding and my pulse was racing and all I wanted was to get to the hospital. I clutched my suitcase in my hand, needing something to hold on to.

“Makenzi?” a voice asked tentatively, coming from my right.

I turned toward the voice, coming face to face with Malachi, one of my brothers’ best friends. He’s known my brothers since birth practically, so I’ve known him my entire life. He was another brother, practically. Even under the circumstances, I couldn’t deny that I was happy to see him.

“Malachi!” I yelled, wrapping my arms around his torso, burying my face in his chest.

“Damn Kenz. You’ve grown up nicely,” Malachi said with a chuckle as he wrapped his arms around me.

“Same ole Malachi,” I said, pulling away from him.

“I can’t say the same for you,” he responded, picking my suitcase up and placing his hand on my back, guiding me through the lobby.

“Is that a good thing or a bad thing?” I asked as we passed through the doors to the parking lot.

“That depends I guess. You sure have grown up into a beautiful young woman, but that doesn’t say anything about your personality. You’ve always had a wonderful personality, but you did just up and leave everyone behind. That goes against everything I knew about you,” he said as he opened the passenger side door of his truck open.

I knew by the way he said it he wasn’t trying to hurt me by what he said, he was just explaining himself. I knew I shouldn’t get mad at him and I wasn’t, but I couldn’t deny that what he said hurt.

“Please don’t,” I said as he slid behind the wheel.

“Don’t what?” he asked, genuinely confused.

“Don’t think badly of me. I know leaving with no notice was wrong and not like me at all, but I had my reasons. I can’t tell you right now, but I will in time. I’m still the same person I’ve always been, albeit more mature,” I almost whispered as he started the truck and began pulling out of the parking spot.

“Hey. Don’t be upset, I’m sorry. I get that you have your reasons. I guess everyone has their secrets. You’ll always be like a little sister to me, Kenz,” he soothed, reaching one arm over and wrapping it around me in a hug.

I gave him a small smile as my mind wandered back to my dad. I hadn’t heard anything since calling Talon to tell him I was coming home. I knew Daddy obviously wasn’t okay but I needed to know that he was going to live. Since my hometown doesn’t have an airport, I knew I still had at least another hour before I could see Daddy. The radio in the truck was softly playing, with Malachi humming quietly along with it, and that combined with the motions of the truck caused my eyes to droop. Unless I was driving, I couldn’t be in a car for more than ten minutes without becoming tired. Knowing I wouldn’t get much sleep once I got to the hospital, I leaned my head against the window and curled my legs underneath me, preparing for a nap.

“Makenzi. Wake up Kenz,” Malachi said softly, gently shaking me awake.

I groggily sat up, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. Looking out the window, I saw the imposing hospital building. Suddenly alert, I yanked my door open and jumped out, running towards the front door.

“Kenzi wait up!” Malachi yelled from behind me but I didn’t listen. I wanted to see Daddy.

I ran through the doors and saw the receptionist, Gertrude, sitting behind the desk with the phone pressed to her ear. I walked over to stand in front of her. She held her finger up, telling me to hold on. I tapped my fingers impatiently, waiting for her to attend to me. After what felt like hours but was really only seconds, I decided to talk to her.