Chapter 12

Cayden’s POV

The morning after Tristan’s party was brutal. I sat at the kitchen table, a cup of coffee sitting in front of me. My head pounded due to the hangover and anger coursed through me every time I thought about my so called friends having their hands all over Kenzi. She was mine, has been since we were kids, and they had no right to do that. I shook the thoughts out of my head. I had better things going on today than to get mad at my friends.

“Morning bro, how are you this morning?” I asked Tristan as he walked into the kitchen.

“Hung over. Man, that party was a blast but I wish this headache would go away,” he said, grabbing himself a cup from the cupboard and pouring himself some coffee.

“I couldn’t agree more,” I answered as I watched him grab some Advil from the cabinet and popped them in his mouth.

“So I heard what went down with you and Kenzi and Ashley,” he said as he sat down across from me.

“Yeah, I walked in just as she was calling Kenzi a whore and saying that the twins probably weren’t mine. I couldn’t let her get away with that. I know I screwed things up with Kenzi, but I still love her. And those boys are mine, no one can deny that. I haven’t met them yet but I swear bro, they’ve already wormed their way into my heart. Did I tell you that I talked to them yesterday?”

“No, you didn’t tell me.”

“Yeah, Kenzi got a video call right after she got here and it was the boys. She talked to them for a little bit and then handed the phone to me so I could talk to them. They’re amazing, Tristan, absolutely amazing.”

“Sounds like you’re going to be a great dad,” Tristan said with a smile on his face.

“I’m going to try. I messed up and haven’t been able to be there for them until now, but I’ll be damned if you think I won’t be there for them for the rest of their lives.”

Tristan opened his mouth to say something but, before he could, the sound of the front door opening and closing and footsteps walking towards the kitchen cut him off.  Tristan and I exchanged a curious glance. It was eleven in the morning. Everyone was still asleep and was passed out somewhere around the house, just like it was after every party. People wouldn’t join the living until at least noon. We looked away and watched the kitchen doorway, noticing that the footsteps were only a couple feet away.

“Morning boys!” Kenzi chirped as she walked into the kitchen with a bag in her hand and a smile on her face.

“You’re quite happy this morning,” Tristan observed, smiling at her.

“Of course I am. Cain and Asher will be here in a few hours,” she answered, her smile growing.

“When does their plane land?” I asked, speaking to her for the first time since the confrontation last night.

“Two, but we have to stop by the store and get car seats for them. James said there wasn’t room for the car seats on the plane,” she answered.

“So should we get ready soon? The airport itself is over an hour away and if we have to stop for the car seats too, shouldn’t we leave soon?” I asked, trying to judge Kenzi’s mood towards me. I wasn’t sure if she was still mad at me or is she was choosing to overlook what happened.

“Yeah. Here, eat up and we can go,” she said, reaching into the bag she had set on the counter and throwing a couple burgers at me and Tristan before taking two for herself and joining us at the table.

“Kenzi Bear, I love you,” Tristan said as he took a huge bite of his burger.

“Love you too Trist. Now eat up! I want to get to the airport,” she said, starting to eat her burgers.