Chapter 4

I sat in the passenger seat of Easton’s truck as we followed Malachi’s truck to Talon’s house.  When I left, he was living in an apartment in the small apartment complex the town has with Nikki and Jayson, but he moved into a house about a year ago. From what Nikki said it was a cozy little house and they seemed really proud of it. I watched out the window as Easton drove down the familiar roads that defined my childhood.

We pulled off the main road onto one of the dirt roads, following the tree-lined street to a small, cozy house with trees surrounding it. I felt a smile spread across my face as I saw Nikki and Jayson walk out of the house at the sound of the trucks. Talon stepped out of Malachi’s truck and walked to his wife, giving her a kiss before he picked up his son and spun him around while kissing the top of his head. It was such a sweet moment and I felt a pang in my heart as I realized that my sons didn’t get that treatment and it was all my fault.

“Easton?” I asked in a small voice, trying to push my revelation away.

“Yeah Kenz?” he answered, turning to look at me, noticing my tone of voice.

“Is Cayden around? Or is he gone?” I asked, inspecting my fingernails, not wanting to look at him.

“He’s a couple hours away at college. He comes home on the weekends sometimes,” Easton answered reluctantly.

I nodded, opening the door and starting to walk towards the house.

“Kenz, wait!” Easton called behind me, making me pause in my tracks.

I stayed where I was, watching as Malachi picked up Jayson and kissed Nikki’s cheek, making the pang in my heart that much fiercer.

“Are you okay? Something’s going through your head, I can tell,” Easton questioned, stopping to stand in front of me.

“My sons don’t have that, East. They don’t have a dad that comes home and picks them up to play with them. They don’t have a dad to love them. They don’t have a dad,” I answered, looking down at the ground.

“Don’t blame yourself for that, Makenzi. You did what you thought was right and nobody can fault you for that.”

“I still can. I know he hurt me, I know that. But my sons deserve to know their father. I shouldn’t have let my feelings stand in the way.”

“Well, it’s never too late,” Easton said before wrapping his arm around my shoulder and leading me to where everyone was waiting for us on the porch.

“Makenzi! Oh, it’s so good to see you,” Nicole said as she gathered me in her arms, pulling me to her.

“It’s good to see you too Nik. I’ve missed you,” I admitted, pulling back after a minute.

“I’ve missed you too. It’s just not the same around here with you gone. Kind of feels like there’s an empty space,” she said, giving me her warm smile.

I managed to smile back before turning to take my nephew from Malachi. He grinned at me, throwing his arms around me.

“Kenzi!” he yelled as I gripped him to me.

“Hey Jayson. You’ve gotten big,” I said, pulling back slightly to see him.

“Uh-huh. I’m four now,” he replied, holding up four fingers to show me.

“Really? That’s so cool!” I said, giving him a big smile.

He squealed, wrapping his arms around my neck again.

Looking up, I saw my brothers and Nikki giving me warm, knowing smiles while Malachi gave me one of his that’s-adorable smiles.

“Come on Kenz. You look beat. I’ll show you to your room. We can all catch up after you get some rest,” Talon said, taking his son and wrapping an arm around my shoulder, leading me inside.