Chapter 28

I walked backwards as Dylan moved forwards with the gun pressed to my temple. My heart was racing and so was my mind as I tried to think of a way out of this. Cannon was my only hope but he was currently in his room getting dressed. Thankfully, he had finished his shower before Dylan came to the door otherwise he’d be dead. Since Easton had borrowed Cannon’s truck a few hours before, Dylan probably thought I was the only one in the house. All I had to do was find a way out of the situation that didn’t involve my brother or me dying.

“Sit down,” Dylan demanded, pressing his gun harder into my head as the back of my knees hit the couch.

I slowly sank down onto the couch, my arms shaking. Dylan stayed standing, keeping his gun pointed at my face but, thankfully, not pressed against my temple. The look in his eyes is what frightened me the most. He looked determined, crazed, even possessed. I could tell he wasn’t sober, but I don’t think alcohol was the only thing he had been ingesting.  He was too far out of it far out of it for that to be the case.

“I’ve waited a long time to get you on your own. I’ve been watching you for weeks, just waiting until you’re alone, but that hasn’t happened.  You’ve been avoiding me Kenzi and I don’t like that,” he growled, his eyes glaring at me.

I stared back at him, my eyes wide. I knew he probably wanted me to talk to him, but I couldn’t. I couldn’t find my voice and I was scared. All I could do was look from his furious face to the gun that was still pointing at my head.

“Say something, you whore!” he suddenly yelled, waving the gun in my face.

“What do you want me to say?” I asked, my voice quiet and shaky.

“Tell me why you’ve been avoiding me! Tell me why you can’t accept the fact that we belong together. I’ve spent the last few weeks watching you with that asshole Cayden and all I’ve wanted to do was kill him! Why would you do that to me Kenzi?” he yelled, his face becoming more and more red as he got angrier and angrier.

I was about to answer when I saw movement behind Dylan. I looked over to see Cannon walking out of his bedroom, looking at the floor. I saw him look up and take in the scene before him, his jaw tightening in anger and his fists clenching at his side. He started backing up, back into his room, while holding his finger up, telling me to hold on. I didn’t know what he had planned, but I knew I had to trust him or else we could both end up dead. Turning my gaze back to Dylan, I saw him give me a curious look before turning to look in the direction I was just looking in.

“What were you looking at?” Dylan asked, venom still in his voice.

“Nothing,” I answered quickly, not wanting him to know that Cannon was here.

His eyes narrowed at me, probably knowing I was lying.

He started to turn to walk in the direction of Cannon’s room when I stopped him.

“Who would be here Dylan? You watched everyone leave me,” I said, trying my hardest to convince him.

He looked at me for a moment before looking over his shoulder and then turning back to me.

“You’re right. You’re probably just trying to distract me,” he said, running his free hand through his hair.

My heart was still racing but I was trying to ignore it. I knew Cannon would help me, he probably had a plan that he was setting into action in his room. Well, I hoped so at least. I needed to try to calm Dylan down and get the gun away from him.

“What are you planning on doing Dylan? You’ve been stalking me for weeks. That’s enough time to think of a plan. So what is it?” I asked, trying to ignore the gun that was still pointed at my head.