Chapter 24

Cayden’s team won by a landslide. The final score was 54-15 and we couldn’t be happier.  On the field, the team was jumping all around and on each other. They looked so happy and no one could deny that they deserved it. The home team crowd was starting to flood the field so I grabbed my boys and made my way to the field. I could feel that Mom, Daddy, Emily, and Trent were following me. I had just stepped onto the field when Cayden materialized in front of me, a big smile in his face. He grabbed Asher from me and kissed his forehead before leaning over and doing the same to Cain. He went to kiss my cheek but, not knowing what he was trying to do, I turned my head and his kiss landed on my lips. The kiss was short but the fireworks were undeniable.

He pulled away, shocked, and I had to smile at the expression on his face. I didn’t mean for the kiss to happen but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy it. A smile grew on his face and I’m sure he would have said something, but our parents chose that time to find us in the crowd. I watched as they all congratulated Cayden. Cayden talked to them and thanked them, but I couldn’t help but notice that his eyes barely left me the entire time.  I pretended not to notice as I played with Cain, who was trying to run away.

“Cayden, come on. Coach wants to talk to us,” Kasper said as he materialized beside Cayden. Asher reached out to Kasper, making Kasper smile and reach out to ruffle his hair. Kasper reached over to do the same to Cain before waving to me and leading Cayden away. I laughed as Cayden handed Asher over to Emily as Kasper drug him away.

“I’ll meet you at the truck!” Cayden yelled over his shoulder as he struggled to keep up with Kasper.

I waved at the pair, smiling.

“We’ll wait with you until Cayden comes out then we’ll go,” Daddy said, wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

“Okay. Thanks Daddy,” I replied as we turned around and started walking to the parking lot.

When we got to the parking lot, I discovered that the parents had parked next to my truck so it made it easy to transfer the car seats once again. Maybe my parents and Trent and Emily should invest in car seats for their vehicles. It would make this a lot easier.  I set the boys in the bed of my truck before climbing in there with them.

“What are you doing?” Daddy asked as he laughed.

Looking up, I saw that Mom, Emily, and Trent had walked off, leaving me with my sons and Daddy.

“I didn’t want to hold them the entire time and I didn’t want to set them down in case they ran off. This is my solution,” I answered, laughing myself as Daddy climbed in next to me.

Daddy was doing a lot better than a few months ago and I couldn’t be happier. I hated the thought of losing him and I never wanted that to happen. I loved my Daddy and I needed him around to help me. Thoughts of losing him were swarming my head so I reached over and gave him a hug. He was surprised at first, but he quickly wrapped his arms around me.

“What was that for?” he asked with a chuckle.

“I love you Daddy,” I said in response.

“I love you baby,” he answered.

I smiled ay him before turning my attention back to my sons. They were still energetic and jumping all over the bed. They were playing with each other and kept running over to engage Daddy and I as well. They looked so happy and that small little fact made me extremely happy.

“There’s my boys! How are you?” Cayden asked, appearing next to the truck beside me.

“Daddy!” the boys squealed, reaching their arms out to Cayden. Cayden laughed and engulfed both of them in his arms.