Luhan Introduction

Year, 2013.

World, ours.

Colours available? Black to white, and every shade in between.

Devoid of what? Life.

Luhan, a spirit, wandered his town by night, but during the day, busied himself learning the ways of the people who were alive. His town had been split in half since time began, one half buzzing with life, and the other, his half, monotone with the pained cries of the dead.

Everyone in this part of the world longed to live again, longed to remember what life was like. They mourned and lamented their deaths, untimely and painful.

So they spent their days gathered around the split separating their worlds, holding on to and grabbing the little wisps of colour that had somehow entered the world.

Although the spirits could not see it often, they all had a favourite colour. Blue was a favourite amongst them, a beautiful contrast against their white sunless sky, vultures spotting it.

The vultures were harbingers of death, the only being that could pass freely through the split. They flew with such speed and precision through the minute gaps in the barrier, seeking out life in the coloured world that they could sense coming to an end. Their job was to keep the balance between these two worlds, to beckon lost souls through to this grey life.

Luhan made sure to observe their technique each time they left, watching from a distance. Angled perfectly, they glided through the holes, entering the forbidden land.

Today, Luhan repeated this ritual.

He sat up in a tree, the dead leaves giving him shelter against the slight chill winding through the land. The wind rustled the leaves with a crackle.

At that same moment, one vulture in particular was gearing up for flight, hauches raised, eyes ahead, muscles coiled in anticipation of the take-off. Springing forward, its wings spread forth from its sides, wings giving a few flaps before the bird started to pick up speed.

The wind brushed past the tree, the leaves cracking under it. The vulture was startled, and mid way through the barrier, it turned. The wings of the bird ripped at the sides of the hole, widening it. The reaction had been too slow, so the bird struggled through the gap.

Then it hit Luhan.

He had found a gap.

He could join the world of the humans.

-End of Luhan Introduction-