Chapter 4

Nova pulled a thick black robe over her costume and stepped out the back door, careful not to let it squeak as it closed behind her. Her hands found their way into her empty pockets.  If only she'd been brave enough to take those cufflinks!  She'd reached out and touched them, as she'd gushed all over him... but she just couldn't belittle herself.

It wasn't her usual protocol, sneaking out the back of the Saloon without the bouncer watching, but tonight was an exception. 

Her quick footsteps rang out on the cobbled streets, had they been any faster they would have synchronized with her heart beat. Just the thought of that watchful lone cowboy, and she was hailed with a rush of nerves. He'd seemed like the perfect victim.  Radiating loose limbed tranquillity.  But in truth, his body was too alert for her liking. Energy radiated from every pore. And even when his gaze wasn't trained on her she felt like his senses were.

Was this how it felt to be an animal of prey?

The street lamps spluttered as a cool breeze swept down the alley. The smell of gas tickling her nostrils. Nova clutched her robe closer. I'll be on Twilight soon. And then I'll be cantering home.

Nova could have kicked herself with her well shod boot. How could she let slip such an important detail as to how long she'd been living in Wyoming?

All women of a marriageable age, in Little River, could be narrowed down by how long they'd lived there. And in doing so it would leave Nova Radcliffe - the Blue eyed Lumbee - unaccounted for.

Her double identity was nearly all she had left. She had no drunk men calling at her house at ungodly hours, as the other girls did. It gave her protection,  and in a house free of male protection that was vital.

She'd been forced to leave early.  No matter how much she tried to ignore it, she'd felt his gaze upon her the whole time.  Instead of dancing delicately and making polite small talk she'd felt like she'd suddenly been given two left feet and a very primitive vocabulary. It had become too much for her.

It wasn't that she thought she needed to be safe from him, he didn't strike her as a criminal, but she'd had an eerie feeling that no matter where she went that he would find her. Well... not find her as such. That their paths were destined to cross. That they would cross again regardless of her location. It was the strangest feeling – she couldn't decide if it filled her with foreboding or excitement.

She nearly struck herself in anger. Excitement?

Her general rule of thumb was to trusted men only as far as she could throw a buffalo. This cowboy's smouldering gaze might have every other woman in the Tavern perched on the edge of her seat in excitement but it did nothing but frighten Nova.

She reached the main street. It was empty apart from the line of horses tied up to the railings. As she went to pass, an Appaloosa dug its hoof into the ground and snorted gently to her.  It was almost completely bare of metallic body armour.

"Hello, beautiful!" Nova whispered.  Approaching the horse she ran a hand over its velvety nose. Out of the corner of her eye she saw a movement. "Hello? Who is there?"  She gazed into the shadows.

No answer.

Giving the horse one last scratch on the forelock she stepped away. Nerves fluttered in her stomach.

"Oi!" A voice from the Saloon door bellowed, "Wait there!"

Casting her eyes at the bulky figure advancing toward her, Nova appraised the distance between her and the closest tavern window.  One frightened tap and the Saloon would empty out onto the street.

"India Sommers?"

"Yes." 

"Rick Hornsby, at your service!" The man pushed his hand out to grasp hers. The smell of alcohol forcing her backwards. "I must admit, I'm taken by your beauty!" He staggered against the railings causing the nearby horses to rear back sharply.  The sound of metal crashing as the poor beasts pulled their reins to avoid him.   Horses could sense so much about a person,  Nova thought.

"Such grace!" Rick continued. Casting an arm around her shoulders he dragged her into his embrace. "I would pay a lot of money to bed a woman like you." She could feel his breath wet and putrid against her cheek.

Her fingers touched the insides of her pocket once again. The very spot that she'd imagined would ferry those cufflinks home.  But it was empty, and she was desperate.  But she couldn't!  Her body recoiled from his touch.

"Does this look enough for you?" Shoving a hand into his pocket he dragged out some coins.

"Any price you offer, Sir, will never be enough."

He tugged her body closer still. "Come, now! Drop the act."

"Step back, or I'll scream!" Nova tried to tug her shoulders free.

Her admirer brought a hand to circle her throat. "Try it.  It will be the last sound you make."

There was nothing that Nova liked more than a challenge. With a deep breath she sent out a blood curdling cry which was prematurely quietened by two hands closing tightly around her airway - as promised. She felt the air leave her lungs and her head became distorted. The sound of blood throbbing past her ears deafened her to all else. Nova could almost look down upon herself, seeing her face turning an unnatural shade of blue.  Her eyes bugging out in fright.

Gathering together the last of her energy she brought a swift knee upwards to his groin, licking her lips in anticipation.  When her knee made no contact with anything, except for an open space of cool night air, she was overwhelmed by a sense of doom and disappointment. The world was closing in, darkening around the edges. The last she heard was the whooshing around her ears.