Chapter 44

Jese felt defeated.

When he'd decided to take his airship to follow Freddy, whilst simultaneously tracking his wife, he'd thought he'd be home within the hour.  His feet up, with a hot cup of coffee.  But - somehow - it hadn't worked out as simply as that. He thumped the dashboard in front of him and gave a snarl of frustration. 

As he'd sailed his ship into the cloudless sky, hours before, he'd taken note of the direction that Nova and her mother were heading. He'd managed to constrain a smug smile. He'd arrogantly thought that he'd caught her. Yet, hours had passed, and while he'd apprehended Freddy with the jewels - and taken him straight to the Sheriff - Jese had lost sight of his wife's cart.

The sun was lowering over the horizon, soon Jese would be blinded to the goings on below him.  He was forced to stop.  Jese glanced down at the empty vista.  But where would he land?

His anxiety at his wife's whereabouts was causing sharp stabbing pains in his gut.  Could history be repeating itself?  Was he failing another wife?  

Around noon that day Jese had contemplated traveling in a different direction from the one he'd seen Nova disappear in.  He'd brushed the thought away at first, thinking that it was an irrational notion. But it had kept hounding him, until - exasperated - he'd caved in and turned. 

Had he turned too soon? Had he made a fatal mistake? He felt his heartbeat speed up. He couldn't make the same mistake twice.

Suddenly, in the distance, a small pool of light flickered to life.  The gas lanterns were being lit about a roadside Hotel; tucked behind the Hotel was a large body of water.  That was enough of a sign for him, he decided tiredly.  He would stop for the night. As he brought the airship down, he sought the wagons and horses tied to the front, searching for anything that resembled Nova's. There was nothing. His stomach sank further.

He'd lost her.