II.

Anakin's bright blue eyes watched as the gorgeous Jedi walked away, a frown making its way onto his face as his shoulder sagged in disappointment. He felt an aching in his chest with each step she took, as he assumed that she would be just as happy as he was, when he saw her face for the first time in six years.

He hasn't thought of anyone other than the beautiful eighteen year old, and every single day, he'd think of her and her beautiful smile, and he'd then think of everything that they could become together. He longed for her, for her laugh, for her touch, for her everything. But she clearly didn't miss him as much as he missed her, she barely even looked at him the entire time and she didn't even bother staying to catch up with him, like she did before when they were younger. She didn't care as much as Anakin thought she would, and it pained him feeling like this.

"Mesa busten wit happiness seein yousa again, Ani!"

The blonde boy turned to the smiling Gungan in front of him, forcing a small smile on his face as he faced Jar Jar Binks, one of his previous companions during the Battle of Naboo ten years ago. "Hello, Jar Jar. It's nice to see you again." After his greeting, he glanced over at the retreating woman who was almost out the door, and noticed how she glanced back towards him for a brief second, before turning back around to exit the room.

Anakin felt that familiar heaviness in his chest at the thought of Layna, and he inhaled sharply, the aching in his heart much more prominent than before. "She hardly even recognized me, Jar Jar." He stared at the room's entrance where the girl of his dreams just passed through, a frown etched on his face as he did.

He turned his attention back to the much taller Gungan, who had a rather concerned look on his face as he stared back at the young Padawan. "I've thought about her every day since we parted, and..." Anakin breathed out a long sigh, his expression contorted to one of dejection and longing. "She's forgotten me completely."

Jar Jar glanced over at the room's exit, giving Anakin a sympathetic look as he placed his large hand on Anakin's shoulder. "Mesa tink shesa happy seein yousa, Ani. No worry!" the Gungan exclaimed reassuringly, but Anakin's gloom still did not dissipate as he knew that Jar Jar wouldn't really know if Layna truly was happy to see him again. He didn't want anyone's reassurance, he wanted the truth.

His Master walked up to the two, his gaze shifting from the Gungan then to the younger boy. Obi-Wan's dark brows furrowed as his gray-blue eyes rested on Anakin, and his expression caused the young boy to frown even further. "You're focusing on the negative, Anakin. Be mindful of your thoughts."

Glancing over at their Gungan friend, Obi-Wan nodded before a smile graced his lips as he turned his attention back to the blonde boy. "She was pleased to see us." Obi-Wan glanced behind him before adding, "And so was Padmé."

Anakin did admit that his senses weren't that fine-tuned, not like his Master's was, but he should have at least sensed how Layna felt in that moment. He thought that maybe he couldn't because he was too distracted by her beauty that time, or she's just gotten very good at concealing her true emotions.

"Now come, let us check security. We need to check back with Captain Typho."

+

Anakin sat on one of the couches in the small room adjacent to the Senator's, his eyes fixated on the younger girl sleeping peacefully on the spot next to him. He could feel the calmness invade his heart as he watched her rest on the couch, her eyelids fluttering every now and then with occasional mumblings escaping her slightly parted lips.

Layna didn't come back until the sun of Coruscant had set and dyed the skies a bright orange with streaks of pink. She claimed that she had been discussing the details of the mission with the Council, and that they have given her their permission to assist him and Master Kenobi in protecting the Senator.