IV.

The brunette Jedi Knight stood in the center of the Council room, alongside her two companions for the mission she was assigned to as she awaited the Council's further instructions. They have just finished their reports about the events that occurred last night, and the unfortunate death of the assassin before she could reveal the identity of her colleague.

Layna kept her dark eyes on the Grand Master, who was seated between Master Windu and Master Ki-Adi-Mundi. Master Yoda's golden eyes flickered between the three Jedi standing before the Jedi Council before resting on the oldest Jedi among the three. "Track down this bounty hunter, you must, Obi-Wan."

Layna could see Obi-Wan nod from the corner of her eye, lifting her head slightly as her gaze met Master Windu's equally dark eyes. "Most importantly, find out who he's working for."

"What about Senator Amidala?" Obi-Wan questioned, his eyebrows furrowing upon remembering the original objective given to them by the Council. Layna blinked a few times, knowing that they cannot put Padmé's life at risk as they investigate the identity of this bounty hunter, they need to focus on just one thing at a time. "She will still need protecting."

"Handle that, your Padawan and young Hale will," Yoda then replied, causing the two teenagers to look up at the Jedi Master. Layna's dark eyes were wide in shock as she gazed at Master Yoda, who held her gaze with a neutral expression on his green face. She turned to look at the Padawan to her left, who also had a genuinely surprised look on his fair face. She could feel the surge of excitement inside Anakin upon his recognition, and she could feel his racing thoughts about finally being given an assignment by the Council.

"Anakin, Layna, escort the senator back to her home planet on Naboo," Master Windu instructed the two teenagers, who have managed to calm themselves down after a few moments. "She'll be safer there, and don't use registered transport. Travel as refugees."

Layna nodded her head in understanding, but felt the need to voice out a concern of hers. "As the leader of the opposition, it will be very difficult to get Senator Amidala to leave the Capital," she raised her hand as she talked, the Jedi in front of her exchanging glances with one another. Layna was very much aware of her friend's stubborn nature, she knew that Padmé would not allow herself to leave in order to protect herself when she had a duty she needed to accomplish. The Senator would downright refuse to even listen to the idea of her leaving during a very important mission, let alone actually seek refuge in her home planet in the midst of this entire thing.

"Until caught this killer is," Master Yoda nodded his head at the two Padawan, his golden eyes piercing right through them as he gazed at them with a solemn expression. "Our judgment she must respect."

"Anakin, go to the Senate and ask Chancellor Palpatine to speak with her about this matter," Master Windu peered over at the tallest of the three, who nodded his head once after the dark skinned man gave him the instructions he needed to follow for now. Layna exchanged looks with the two other Jedi beside her, then turned her attention back to the Grand Master in order to bow to him before taking their leave.

As the three Jedi split up to begin their preparations for the new assignments given to them by the Council, Layna could only think of one thing to do considering she didn't have to do anything before they had to leave for Naboo. She wanted to go check up on the former Queen, to see how she's faring and how she will react to the Council's decision to take her to Naboo. She sighed, knowing that she's going to be the one to deliver the blow to the stubborn Senator and convincing her to agree will definitely not be easy.

+

"Absolutely not!"

Layna rubbed the back of her neck as another sigh escaped her lips for what seemed like the ninth time since she entered the Senator's chambers. She hated that she was left to tell Padmé of the Council's instructions, she knew that it was going to be hard to get the former Queen to agree on this idea but both of them knew that nothing could be done to change the Council's decision.