A Double-edged Alliance

His frightened eyes were for her. Zeno McMillian was scared for her safety. "Why are you doing this for someone who already loves someone else?"

Tori finally stopped walking forward. "That word again. Is that also the reason why you betrayed the House Larat? Because you allegedly love my sister?" Her mocking red eyes sharpened like a predator's eyes in the night.

"Love is a sentiment that can even ruin an empire and I did not betray my family for that. I did it for something bigger – an obsession that kept me awake at night." He whispered his last words but Tori heard them loud and clear from him. She did not like the way he looked into her eyes so she went back on track to what they were talking about.

"The dam construction is not your whole plan. You're using the dam to have an excuse to overflow this side of the river, haven't you? This part of the river is already contaminated but this does not ensure his death so you needed it to reach the capital. And the dam construction is the best diversion. You stupidly thought that everything ends when he dies. Do you believe that's enough to kill him?"

The noble faction will not kill Prince Corean through the plague but hundreds of thousands already died and you will realize it too late. Poor you, the deaths caused by the Vervain will not kill him but will give the noble faction something to blame for the second prince's death. They will assassinate him.

"I will stop this plan of yours, Sir Zeno McMillian. No one, not even death, can take my fiancé from me."

Tori saw the second prince in Zeno's gentle smile. She trembled upon realizing that she missed those golden eyes smiling at her. Shaking her head from her stupidity, Tori dragged her fingernails to his right cheek. Zeno was still holding his dagger in his hand which Tori was secretly wary of. It was true that he was no killer but amateur ones were scarier than the veterans, they're just unpredictable for Tori. "You are right. Everything you deduced is right. I am stupid and naïve and a hypocrite, name it all. But one thing is for sure, we will succeed in killing him. If sacrificing hundreds of thousands of lives will take to kill him, I will gladly close my eyes and do so." His grip on her shoulders was gentle but firm.

What? Just a moment ago, he's feeling guilty. Why?

His smiling face scared Tori. Without meaning to, she stepped away. "Why are you willing to fall into depravity just to kill the second prince?"

The hesitation in her eyes showed Zeno that she was astounded by his sudden change so he chose to elaborate. "It is not about Prince Corean. Honestly, I have no bad blood against him. I like him compared to the first prince."

"Then why? You could be an asset to the aristocratic faction." Tori offered her right hand to Zeno but the latter just stared at it while slowly shaking his head.

Zeno took her hand and kissed the back of her palm before letting it go gently. Realizing what he meant, Tori's eyes widened. "I am willing to fall into depravity just to see your face when you lose. I have yet to see your losing face, Lady Victoria. Until I see that face, I am your enemy."

Why? Why is this place so twisted?

Tori steeled herself by giving Zeno a mocking smile. "Too bad, I don't plan to lose-"

"You are accusing Tessa, sentencing her for a life of solitude, but you are in cohorts with the enemy all along." The deadly voice of Prince Corean cut Tori off.

Zeno and Tori sharply turned to the newly arrived unwanted guest of the night. Standing two meters away from them, Prince Corean was openly glaring at them. He was with his knight who had already drawn a sword against them.

I am saving your damsel ass so shut up.

Tori returned his glare with a blank look. She clenched her hands once before relaxing.