Chapter 2: Weird Science

I woke up with a lovely feeling inside. It wasn't Christmas day or the first day of the school holiday, but the expectation, anticipation and promise were all there. A childish excitement churned in my stomach, and I'd no idea why. I lay still for a bit and enjoyed the feeling.

I pulled my half dead arm out from under the pillow. A stiff and sleepy hand clutched something hot, small and round. I stared, my mind a void.

The rune.

I jumped up, tossing it on the bed, and allowed my breath to exit slowly through clenched teeth. It sunk into the duvet; spiral glaring back.

Obviously, I had dreamt I'd carefully locked 'it' away in my desk drawer before I got into bed last night.

Heart stupidly thudding in my ears, I grabbed my un-ironed uniform off the desk chair. I dressed quickly to avoid the chill in the air; half expected the spiral to jump up in my face. Hobbling on one leg whilst pulling on a sock, I began to see the funny side. There was always an earthly answer. I pocketed the offending object. It was still warm.

It had to be Robbie. I jogged down the narrow stairs to confront my brother via the medium of Mum. He'd been known to explore my room looking for answers to the mysteries of women contained in various magazines. If Robbie was invading my space again, clearly he'd issues Mum should know about.

"Mum, Robbie's been in my room," I shouted, throwing the kitchen door open and storming into the room.

Mum turned, 'shhhed' me and then covered the receiver. "It's you aunt Tracey," she mouthed with a look of resignation.

I sat down at the table and tried to ignore Mum's constant, 'umm I know', at her bossy older sister. Robbie tilted his bowl for the last of the milk and concentrated until every last drop dribbled on the spoon.

"I haven't been in your room. What've you lost now?" he said.

"Nothing."

Robbie's eyes looked innocently questioning.

I sighed. "Well, actually, a small memento I took from Gam's moved around in the night. Do you know anything about it?"

"Nope," he said, tossing the spoon down with a sharp clink on the china. "I can't afford distraction if we're going to beat The Angles after school."

"Can't argue with that," I said, wondering what to eat. My eyes flicked back to Robbie for any look of guilt or sadistic pleasure. None. He was barely interested, probably dreaming about the win that never came when you're bottom of the bottom league.

He snapped back to the present as I sat down. "So, what did you take? I thought Shelly got all the good stuff," he said without a flicker of feeling. Robbie had done quite well out of Gam, being left a collection of war medals and several old books on the history of Britain.

Forgetting suspicions regarding Robbie, I glanced over at Mum, who was still absorbed with Tracey. "I took what I thought was one of Gam's runes, just to remember her by," I whispered feeling disloyal to Mum even mentioning it.

"Oh yeah," he looked freshly intrigued, "the round things with markings on them, I remember. Gam freaked mum out one Christmas messing about. Never saw them after that. What did you choose? Do you know what it means?"

I shook my head. "I googled it to death last night and it turns out it's not even a proper rune."

"It could be a spiritual message from Gam," he said, wide-eyed and completely insincere.

I stared back. The stupid suggestion appealed to my overactive imagination and need for reassurance.

Cornflakes finished, Robbie pushed the chair out and picked up his football kit.