Chapter 23: Witch Way Now? (part 2)

"Araminta, your hand." The voice was commanding.

I could barely breathe, stunned, unprepared and relieved. "You?"

Edgar reached down and took my unmoving limb. "Me." In one swift move, he drew me up effortlessly, then let go and swept Zara off her feet to standing. After flinging her behind his back, Edgar grabbed my waist and shifted me around to face the knife-wielding figures dashing towards us. I let him lift my arm and stretch it forward. With renewed energy, I pushed my palm to the sky. Ready. Waiting.

Reinvigorated by our connection, and with Edgar guiding, a blue light shone out from my hand, dashing forward and creating an almost invisible bubble with us inside.

Zara whimpered as we watched them one by one, turn and flee back into the darkness of the wood.

"We're safe, Zara," I whispered. "We didn't even need to start a fight. No one was hurt." I huffed out air once, twice, three times and then inhaled.

Edgar's face was a breath away from my bare neck; his hand still enveloped mine. I shivered, aware and awake.

"You're back." I hushed.

"I never intended to leave quite like that," he said. There was a husky rumble in his voice. He let go slowly and turned, placing his hand on Zara. "Are you feeling ok?"

She didn't move, bloodied hands out in front, fingers gnarled arthritically. Wide-open, bloodshot eyes gave away the answer.

Edgar nodded. "Let's walk back to the road. Araminta, is the car at the bottom of the track?"

"Ætberan. It is now." I answered.

Somehow we got Zara back down the hill, though she refused to be carried. Somehow, Edgar drove us back to Jasmine cottage. Somehow, I managed to coordinate my fingers and text Pete and George. I told them I was sick again and Zara had taken me home.

Zara, a little calmer, had a small amount of colour back in her white washed face. I knew that was down to Edgar. But could the three of us, Ed, Gladys and me, ever give Zara back her peace of mind? I was worried she'd never sleep again.

*

Gladys willingly took control. Edgar and I willingly stepped back. "Dear me, poor child. Sit her down." Her hands pulled items out of the air and soon Zara was clean, covered in blankets, and sipping a tonic. She still hadn't spoken. When allowed, I sat down on the sofa next to her. "I'm so sorry Zar," I said.

No answer.

"Give her time." Gladys spoke softly, "Edgar, try healing again. Now she's warm and safe I think it will make a difference."

I moved out the way again as Edgar kneeled down, and took Zara's face gently in his hands.

I tensed as his face got closer, a mere kissing distance apart. Zara's eyes closed gradually and a warm smile slowly appeared.

Their intimacy reignited my temper. I fled into the kitchen, whipping open the door. The cool air hit me sharply. Woe betide any witch that got in my way. Anger reigned, and I needed a punch bag.

Breathe.

Breathe.

Breathe.

...I felt him behind me. He didn't speak; he healed, calming me, extinguishing the toxic flame.

I tried to laugh. "I'm not going to zap you."

"I know," he chuckled, "but I wanted to make sure."