Chapter 3: Charmed, I'm Sure

Zara and I walked back to my house, after an hour in the park discussing the radiator incident. It had somehow united our form group. Jokes had already sprung up, namely from Pete, about orange juice and fake tans. These would last forever, or at least till the end of term.

"Go on though, what did Mrs Winter want?" Zara asked. She might be my B.F.F, but I was jealous of Zara's complete confidence about where she was going with her life. It didn't inspire me to talk about my own lack of direction.

"To know if I'm taking English with her next year."

Zara looked enthralled, "Oh go on, it'll be fun."

I turned my nose up at her. "You're not even doing English,"

She looked away quietly. "Well, I'm thinking of doing it as an extra subject, if the timetable allows it."

I shook my head as I opened the gate. "Mad."

Mum was getting her coat on as I pushed open the front door. She flashed us an enormous grin and kissed me as I slung my bag on the table.

"Guess what?" Mum flapped her arms in the air. "No, you'll never will, so I'll tell you." She looked back and forth between Zara and I. Mum was red faced and ready to go out.

I looked blankly at her, unsure whether I was supposed to give an answer or not. I took my coat off and hung it on the floor, hiding the spiral disc in my hand as I sat down.

Mum carried on. "I never checked the lottery on Saturday, but I looked this morning in the paper at work... I've got four numbers!"

"That's great Jilly," Zara said, bagging a chair opposite me.

"So, can you retire?" I asked. "And more importantly, do I have to get a job when I leave school?" I pulled over the biscuit tin from the centre of the table. This called for a celebration.

Mum laughed, more carefree than I'd her seen for a long time.

"Goodness, no. It's just a small windfall, nothing to write about." More laughter. "But it'll make for a good Christmas. Easy come, easy go that's what I say, Zara!"

I suddenly felt cold, probably because my blood was draining down into my toes. I stared into space, stunned. Mum said goodbye, and something about dinner then left.

"Minta, Araminta..." Zara's voice called from somewhere in the room.

"Small windfall. Those were my words," I said, shivering. "Too frecking freaky."

"What are you on about?" She placed an orange juice in front of me. I missed the opportunity to refer to Tammy and Marie's rust covered faces, because the back door opened with a thud.

"The king is home, you may makeith him tea, or pour him a coke."

Zara laughed at Robbie. I'd no idea why she humoured him. It made him worse.

"Give it a rest, bro, I'm not in the mood." I flashed him a warning look. I wanted Zara to myself tonight and didn't need Robbie hanging around as he was inclined to do.

"Guess who saved four goals and won man of the match?"

Zara got in first. "No way?"

"Way," said Robbie grinning ridiculously. "We also won, one-nil. I'd stop and tell you about it, but you wouldn't really get it. So you'll have to be happy in the understanding, I am Great."

Zara giggled as Robbie grabbed a handful of biscuits from the tin in my arms and sauntered up stairs.

I waited until a door slammed shut above our heads. "Zar, do you believe in luck?" I said.