Chapter 31: Let Me In

Surreal: having all eyes watching, as you enter a room and feel the hush descend even over loud music. I tried not to catch anyone's gaze, but scanned the room for a familiar face. That's a lie; I scanned for Edgar.

"You look stunning Minta Hardwick."

"George! You gave me a shock."

He twirled me around and kissed my cheek. "And you're giving half the blokes in this building heart failure, including my father's youngest business partner. Even my two best mates asked me who was that hot lady walking in? I had to fight the urge to punch them. That's my adopted little sister, I said."

"You didn't." I laughed as he waved Josie over.

"No, I didn't, but I told them to keep their hands off. Said you were taken."

I shot a worried look at George.

"Not by me, hun'." He squeezed my arm, smugly. "I'm taken too, thank you."

I squealed and jumped up and down. "That deserves an other hug. I'm so happy."

"So am I. When Josie thanked me for my interfering in the presentation, I confessed I'd feelings for her. She said, she knew; you'd pointed it out a dozen times."

Josie appeared from behind George and slipped her hand around his waist. "I won, Minta!"

I let her pull us into a triple person cuddle. "No doubt about it. You were fab, Jo."

She shrugged as George squeezed her. "Thanks. But... well... I'm not going to ask questions if you don't want me to-,"

I shook my head and held her hands. "Good. Don't ask."

She nodded. "Anything for you and my driver, of course. He was around here somewhere."

But I sensed his nearness before Josie spotted him in the crowd. It was so clear to me now, when he was physically in the same room, or when he was overseeing from somewhere else. A couple of year twelve girls were trying to get his attention, but he only had eyes for me. Lush. It was probably the nearest I'd get to feeling like a goddess, and it beat annihilating trolleys hands down. I couldn't seem to breathe in, as this perfect guy walked towards me. Funny, I usually moaned about stupid slow music, and yet right now, I'd 'Abreotan', any other song. I felt truly magical, stupidly secure and amazingly sensual.

"Araminta."

"Ed."

The chemistry fizzed. We stood a hairsbreadth away from each other, eyes dancing, lips almost smiling as if we'd shared a joke no one else had heard.

"Dance with me?"

Hell yes. I grinned and took his hand, emphatically accepting the glorious stream of electricity as our fingers touched. How had I ever mistaken this for a warning shock?

Instead of the dance floor, Edgar led me out onto the terrace, past the hordes of inquisitive eyes and gossiping tongues. I refused to feel bad for further gloating. Whatever happened, for now, he was mine.

Our spiral charms jingled together as we danced. Conscious and embarrassed by my hopes and desires, I lay my head on Edgar's shoulder. It was delicious. It was home.

And we danced for a while, wordlessly, music drifting over our heads.

But this was me. I couldn't just be content with a perfect moment. I sighed at my own ungratefulness. I lifted my head and moved back slightly, waiting for Edgar's face to turn.

Expression resigned, he knew what was coming. Edgar slipped his arms around my waist.

I tried not to think about the warm pressure.