Chapter 29: Valentine

The journey seemed to take ages even with my shrewd traffic light changing, which fulfilled a life's ambition and was the best fun I'd had for years. Josie sat in the passenger seat, eyes closed. I hoped Zara, Pete and George had done what they could to stall things back at the Charmers Mansion. 

It'd be a long time before I could co-ordinate an operation like this on my own. Where would I've started without my friends?

"At the beginning, Araminta. Always start at the beginning," said Edgar, out loud. 

I gasped. "I forgot you could do that."

"What?" Josie looked at me.

I shrugged, revelling in the connection between Edgar and me. "He can read my mind." I caught his eyes glancing at me playfully. "But it's okay. I love it."

Edgar half smiled and I finally understood the purpose of the rear-view mirror.

And we'd arrived.

Edgar was the only one composed as we entered the building. The grandeur of the manor was always overwhelming, the classical Greek symmetry in the columns, the white and cream cleanness in the fabric, the history in every piece of furniture. Josie quivered as the door swung closed behind us.

"I can't do this," she sighed.

Edgar placed a hand on her shoulder. "Yes, you can."

Josie squeezed her eyes closed for a moment then nodded. "I can, but try." She turned and looked at us, with an understanding that frightened me a little. "Thank you both, for everything."

A massive clap echoed out from down the corridor. Suddenly, George stood in front of us immaculately dressed and smelling of exotic spices.

My heart didn't skip a beat. I smiled in relief. "Have we missed much?"

George made a show of shaking Edgar's hand and hugging me. I could almost hear Josie's heart beating. She wanted him, magic or not.

His lips brushed the side of my face in a swift kiss, and he whispered in my ear whilst surreptitiously placing something cold and metallic in my hands. "You found these outside when you arrived. Your Mum's here, she had to bring the spare."

Keys and a fob; they would be Tracey's or Shelly's because... Shelly's presentation would've been in the boot! "Well done George." I smiled.

"Additionally, we're running late. Something went wrong with the amplifier. Luckily, Pete seemed to know what was going on, and we're back up and running." He looked around; and called over two smartly dressed men. "Frank, Gavin, can you help Miss Roberts. This is the lady who had to visit a sick relative. Can you help her prepare. Miss Hardwick and... friend will need seats." He smiled as he left.

Smooth. George was made for organising. Nepotism aside, he was ready for his role in the company.

We were ushered in two separate directions. I remembered the dress code only when I gave my coat to a disapproving Gavin. "Um. I'll stand at the back and go after I've seen my cousin present," I told him, red faced.

Gavin glanced at the lady already taking my coat. She shrugged, whilst he wrestled with the regulations verses George's orders.

"No one will notice." Edgar soothed the steward's worry.

"That would be acceptable," Gavin said colourlessly.

Edgar had no such problem with his attire. I managed to stop myself from saying 'OMG' by breathing in sharply. If the suit wasn't so modern, Edgar could've played the hero in a period drama; my Mr Darcy, or Rochester. Everything was perfect and he offered his arm as if I was perfect too.