Chapter 6: Wood Yew?

I can't remember how I got to town. My body automatically walked down the hill as my mind processed the world according to Gladys Jones. I'd spent so long thinking about the charm, I'd never considered that the magic came from me. I concentrated on that thought. Was there a decision to be made? Did I really want to go back? Though not a lot had happened, the change in my life felt good and I was reluctant to let it go.

Me, magical? Did I want to be? Who in their right mind didn't want the ability to pass exams without studying or to buy prezzies without money? I shuddered at the downside. I didn't want to grow apart from my friends and family like some religious freak or weird scientist. And, would this make me some kind of witch...?

I gasped as my eyes took in a welcome vision of loveliness. Gorgeous George. My brain switched from magic to lust as I watched George Charmers cross over the road with an energetic leap. The driver of the four-by four, who had to suddenly stop, honked the horn. George looked up at her and cheerfully grinned. I bet her heart flipped. Mine did. Something in a shop window caught George's eye and he stopped for a second, giving me time to casually catch up. My mind flittered over subjects... what would I say?

"Hi Minta." He smiled. He actually smiled at me.

"Hi Gor- George. You shopping?" Stupid question.

George nodded. "Yeah, just a quickie, my dad's sister's visiting. She's gone non gluten and dairy. I'm off to Waitrose to pick up anything saying 'free from' on the label." He looked highly disturbed. "Mum's going frantic with worry. You know what she's like."

I laughed. "Good luck with that. What caught your eye here, an antique non-dairy milk jug?" I pointed to a curiously spouted object displayed in the window.

"Everything catches my eye in 'Of Bits Bizarre'. It's not just incense and crystals; it's full of weird and arty gismos."

"I hadn't really noticed the florist had gone."

He rolled his fabulous eyes. "That was ages ago. I'm surprised, I'd have thought you'd have been in loads?"

I looked alarmed, "Why's that?" I must be weird, because I certainly wasn't arty.

George laughed and put his arm around me reassuringly. I nearly passed out with euphoria. "Don't worry, I meant, you always seemed a little way-out. I remember playing outside your great aunts with Shelly and Josie. You were always in your own world, dressed in Minty Fager's clothes and beads. You liked talking to the fairies, if I remember rightly." His arm dropped away.

I remembered. Good times, long gone. "Are you still good friends with Josie? I mean, I see you around with Shelly occasionally but..." I hoped I looked casual and that he couldn't tell I was crossing my fingers.

"Well, yes and no." He began to walk off in the direction of the shops. I followed, happy to be in conversation with the guy I'd fancied for years.

Was it too soon to propose?

George continued, "Shelly still makes an effort and comes out with my mates. We get on really well. Really well."

I didn't like George's emphasise on the second 'really well' or the sly smile creeping over his face. Hope dropped off like melting snow as he put his hands in his pockets and shrugged.

"But Josie," his mouth turned down at the corners. "I don't know. It's funny; I always...." He shook his head. He didn't look at me as he spoke. The conversation was more George-to-George than George to me.

"What? Go on?" I was interested. Really interested.

We crossed the road. I don't know how old George believed me to be, but I think his mind was stuck on playing outside Minty's. He actually put his hand on my coat to usher me across the road. This was where we'd go our separate ways.