Talk Numbers To Me

The intoxicating smell of my mom's home cooking woke me up. I could smell her making her infamous hamburgers and my mouth began to water as I sat up. I looked over at my phone and checked the time: 9:45.

We were having a late dinner again.

I didn't mind though and proceeded to head downstairs. I was starving and needed one of her hamburgers to make me forget my terrible afternoon.

"Good morning, sleepyhead!" My mom chirped as I walked in the kitchen. She stopped what she was doing and ran over to give me a hug. I hugged her like my life depended on it.

Sometimes, you just need a hug from your mom.

"How was your afternoon?" She asked as she returned to the stove.

"Where's dad?" I asked as a notion to change the topic.

"He went to the store to buy mushrooms, because I know how much you like them on your burgers." She sent a smile in my direction and pushed some of her brown hair out of the way.

My mom was 50, but still looks like she was about 30. She ages very well and still stays her same chirpy self. It's almost as if her being chirpy was making her stay young.

"You never answered my question, Marie. How was your day?" I bit my lip and quickly tried to scramble an answer.

"It was fine..." I said while rubbing my neck. My mother turned around and took notice of my action.

"What's wrong with your neck?"

"Oh, um... Nothing. I think I slept weird."

"You know," She began as a light bulb seemed to go off in her head. "I've been meaning to ask you about that. You sleep very weird and I was concerned you might have neck problems. Remind me to schedule you an appointment at the chiropractor."

I heard my garage door open and my dogs ran towards the door waiting to greet my father. He walked inside holding two grocery bags and placed them on the counter.

"Hey, Marie!" My dad said as he opened his arms for me to hug me. I walked over and hugged him. "Nice to see you awake. How was school?"

"It was fine." I said as I shrugged and pulled a chair out from the dinner table to sit in. "Just waiting for graduation."

"Have you heard back from U of C?" My dad eagerly questioned. My heart sunk to my stomach as I tried to quickly scramble an answer.

"Umm.. No" I quickly spat out. Smooth, Marie. "Um, they haven't sent me anything."

"Oh..." My dad said sounding disappointed. "Well, don't worry; you'll hear something soon." He squeezed my shoulder for encouragement and then walked over to refrigerator to put the gallon on sweet tea away.

Too bad I've already been deferred.

I couldn't even begin to imagine how my parents would react to me being deferred from U of C. With U of C being both of my parents alma mater and my overall dream school, I don't know who would be more depressed: me or them.

"Who wants hamburgers?" My mom asked as she turned and faced us with a plate full of bacon cheeseburgers. My stomach growled a very loud yes and made my parents laugh.

Time to feed the beast.
****************

Slope intercept form: y=mx+b
Vertex form: f(x)= (x-h)^2+k