Chapter 1

When Bonnie came home her head was throbbing with even more ferocity. She sighed shakily and made her way towards the kitchen.

Today, Caroline had realised that she had lost not only one but two of her most talented cheerleaders in less than a year's time. She hadn't taken it very well.

Reaching inside the drawer beside the oven, Bonnie decided on taking two aspirins today and after making herself some tea, dragged herself up the stairs to do her homework.

Darkness had fallen over Mystic Falls when she closed her French textbook. With a new cup of tea, she sat down at the window seat, one leg placed underneath the other, while she breathed in the sultry air coming in through the opened window. Tears made slimy tracks down her cheeks as she looked up at the starry night.

"I'm so tired, Grams," Bonnie suddenly whispered, her voice choked from sadness. This felt strange, she'd never spoken when watching the sky at night before, but the events of today had shaken the stoic numbness blanketing her. "I quit cheerleading today. I just… can't work up the enthusiasm anymore. Caroline of course didn't understand it. Knowing her, I won't hear the end of it tomorrow, but I… I don't know how much I can handle of that stuff. I… I miss you so much, Grams."

Her hand clenched the cup of tea she was holding and her knucles gradually whitened. "How do I go on, Grams? I'm trying, but I feel like I'm drowning in a pool of blackness. It's killing me, Grams!"

She bowed her head, anger suddenly ripping through her chest. "I need you. Why did you leave me? How will I ever go on learning what you wanted me to learn, when you're not here anymore? I don't know if I have the strength or the will to do it on my own. You were supposed to guide me and you let me down. It hurts too much..."

Trying to get a grip on herself, Bonnie took in a shaky breath and looked up at the dark velvet sky again, blinking away the tears to see the stars sparkle like small, reassuring dots of light in the dark veil covering the world.

"How will I know you're alright?" She said in a much calmer tone, her words thoughtful. "That you've found your way into the afterlife? I wish you would give me a sign, anything…"