Chapter 6

The following day Bonnie faithfully waited for Elena to arrive so they could walk to the carpark together. From the corner of her eye she saw Caroline watching her carefully her whilst walking away with Matt, but the blonde averted her gaze when she crossed Bonnie's look. Shrugging it off, Bonnie returned her attention to Elena who looked uncomfortable, but when she tried to ask her about what was happening, she ducked into her SUV and pulled something from the glove compartment. It was an ordinary notebook.

"So, erm, Stefan asked me to give you this." Elena pushed the book into her hands.

"What is it?" Bonnie didn't take a look at it as she questioned Elena, but her best friend didn't seem as though she was in the mood to talk anymore and gently shoved her towards her own Prius. "Just take it Bonnie and promise me you'll take a look at it when you're home. Please?"

"Sure," Bonnie raised an eyebrow and put the book into her backpack as a relieved smile appeared on Elena's serious features. "Great. Thank you. See you tomorrow!"

As her friend quickly jumped into her car, Bonnie shook her head. There was something strange going on and she couldn't quite put her finger on it.

At home she headed toward the kitchen automatically, only to discover that the heavy feeling in her head didn't justify her taking any medication. Perhaps crying out her frustration last night had helped, she mused in pleasant surprise, but didn't linger on it, as she made herself some tea and walked up the stairs to her room, where her homework waited.

She spent an hour and a half studying, actually becoming absorbed by the difficult homework task, as darkness fell over Mystic Falls and the memory of the frightened crow drifted to the surface.

Pulling open the drawer, Bonnie reached for a biscuit and with a guilty face lay some crumbs on the windowsill outside, sitting down at the window seat to wait for the black bird to arrive. She noticed that she actually hoped he'd come back, for the animal made her open up about her sorrow in a way nobody had been able to before.

As she waited, her eyelids grew heavy and she felt herself drifting to sleep , when suddenly a soft "Caw!" roughly pulled her from her slumber. Her eyes shot open as her head snapped up in shock. She looked around in bewilderment, then, ignoring the startled beating of her heart, leaned outside to see the crow sitting amidst the biscuit crumbs, looking at her curiously.

Bonnie's face lit up. "Thank God, you came back," she exclaimed in relief and the crow cocked its head as if saying 'of course.'

A smile relaxed Bonnie's tense features. "I'm sorry I startled you last night. I won't do it again, I promise."

The crow merely ruffled its feathers and seemed to look at her hand, where a small band aid covered the now closed cut from the splinter. Bonnie followed its gaze. "Yes," she agreed regretfully. "That's what comes from letting yourself go like that."

She sighed and shook her head. "And all because of Damon Salvatore."