Chapter 13

Bonnie blinked as she processed his unexpected words, then she caught his actually regretful gaze and a giggle involuntarily escaped her.

The tense atmosphere immediately relaxed and as the sound of her laughter died away, they merely stood there, watching each other with a slight smile gracing their lips. In the strangely content moment, Bonnie allowed herself to study the vampire standing before her, her gaze searching the lines of his memorable features, the light blue, slightly almond eyes set in a pale face which was framed by messy, dark hair. The characteristic, mocking expression had disappeared, leaving only a powerful attractiveness that made her heart involuntarily speed up for him.

As she looked at him, Bonnie felt that Damon once again had lowered his guard to her for her to see the tenderness, the melancholy, even some kind of... innocence hidden behind his calculating gaze, that had now softened considerably.

A blush coloured her cheeks as she asked herself why; why would he lower his guard to her of all people? To the witch that his unfortunate fate had bound him to and the only one to become a real threat to him when her powers would increase?

She watched with bated breath as Damon, unaware of her confused thoughts, lifted his hand and caressed her hair, his long fingers lacing through the soft curls. Smiling slightly, he followed the strands slipping through his fingers. Bonnie closed her eyes and relished in the feeling.

Suddenly, Damon's head snapped up and he took a step back as he cast a glance at the drive. "Your father is coming," he established. "I have to go."

Then, before she could register what happened, he had bowed forward and placed his lips on hers. Caught off guard completely, Bonnie froze under the tender touch, the blood racing through her cheeks as somewhere in her frantic mind she marvelled at the softness of his lips.

He brought his hand behind the back of her neck, deepening the kiss. Involuntarily, she closed her eyes and parted her lips, granting him the access he sought. Her heart was hammering in her chest as she placed her hands on his chest, tasting his mouth and taking in his scent. Passion flared up between them as he drew her closer, making her arms reach up and wrap around his neck.

But as suddenly as the kiss had started, he let go of her again, moving backwards as his tongue licked the trickle of her blood from his lips. Bonnie brought her hand to her mouth while staring at him. She hadn't even noticed the small sting in her bottom lip. His blackened eyes slowly turned ice blue again. Then, he grinned. "A last try to upset my witch."

Her eyes widened in horror and she flushed a deep crimson as she took a few steps forward, but all she was left with was an extinguishing fire on the front lawn.

In the woods a crow croaked amusedly.