Chapter 1

"You don't have to do this Bellerophon."

Bellerophon didn't even turn to address his friend Stewart as he walked with sure strides towards the stable.  "I've made up my mind Stu.  Isabelle will be my bride.  To win her love I need help."

"There's other ways than going to that forest," Stewart spat as he struggled to keep up with Bellerophone's long legged stride.

"I do not care Stewart.  I am going and no one can stop me."

"At least let me go with you."

Bellerophone stopped and gave his friend a dubious look.  "You haven't gone more than ten miles from home your entire life."

Stewart stopped panting and pulled himself up to his rather short height of 5'5" which was almost a foot shorter than Bellerophone's height of 6'3".  "I'll have you know that I have no desire to travel.  What about you?"

Belerophone folded his arms and gazed down at his friend.  "I have been far from home before Stewart."

Stewart dropped his fists from his hips and looked defeated.  "Isn't there anything I can do to change your mind."

"My mind's made up." 

Bellerophone turned and headed towards the stables once more.  Stewart scurried after him throwing entreaties at him.  Bellerophone ignored his friend as he entered the stables.  Stewart stuck close to him as his eyes darted about at the huge animals that frightened him.  Bellerophone reached the stall where his charger Erebus stood pawing at the ground.  Bellerophone wasted no time in saddling up his favorite horse.

"I beseech you Bellerphone.  Isabelle isn't worth it.  She is nothing but a wench who gets around.  She'll break your heart.  She's no virgin."

Bellerophone led Erebus from the stall and mounted him.  He took up the reins.  "Take care of what you say about my future wife Stu.  I'd hate to lose you as a friend."

Stewart backed down.  He laid a hand over his heart and bowed his head.  When he raised his head his brown eyes shone with worry.  He reached up and placed a hand on Bellerophone's booted foot.  "Forgive me my friend.  I worry about you going to that forest."

Bellerophone reached down and clapped his friend on the shoulder.  "Do not worry about me.  I want you to look after Isabelle for me."

"Whatever you ask of me I will do it?"

Stewart stepped back to let Bellerophone and Erebus pass.  His eyes stayed on his friends back as Bellerophone led Erebus to the stable entrance.  Once clear of the entrance Bellerophone urged Erebus into a canter.  If Bellerophone had happened to look back he would have found Stewart standing in the stable entrance watching him leave.