Chapter 3

Bellerophone and Erebus traveled for more than a week before they happened to stumble upon signs of life.  Erebus had found a river that ran crystal clear water.  Bellerophone let Erebus drink his fill of the water as he studied the forest about them.  The forest across the stream looked even more foreboding than where they were.  Bellerophone had lost his sense of direction shortly after stepping into the forest so he had no idea where the stream led.  His thoughtful gaze studied the flow of water to the left where it seemed to go.

"Which way shall we go Erebus?  Do we head upstream or follow the water downstream?"

Erebus raised his muzzle and snorted as he shook his head.  He turned and headed downstream.  Bellerophone shrugged as he let Erebus lead the way.  Horses were much smarter than people in terms of sensing the lay of the land.  The river widened before it broke into a fork.  Erebus and Bellerophone followed the left fork which slowly dwindled to  a stream.  The stream twisted and turned before it bent sharply around a bend. 

Bellerophone stopped and pulled Erebus to a stop as they round the bend.  Up ahead was a dwelling.  A tiny hut sat twenty yards from the stream.  A yard of dead grass was surrounded by a fence made of broken mirrors that failed to shine in the murky sunlight.  In the far corner of the fence closest to the stream was a mighty oak tree that had vivid green leaves.  Underneath the tree was a rose bush that was in full bloom.

"Shall we go see who lives here?  Maybe it's the old hag that we've been searching for."

Erebus snorted and gave a soft whinny as Bellerophone led the way to the hut.  Bellerophone stopped outside the fence and draped the reigns over Erebus's neck.  Bellerophone stepped over the short and jagged mirror pieces and slowly approached the hut with his hand on his sword.  He called out a greeting.  No one answered so Bellerophone pushed open the door to the hut.  It swung open silently and Bellerophone stuck his head inside the hut.  He looked all over wearily, but saw no living creature. 

The hut was a single room.  A small fireplace that provided little warmth sat in the back wall.  A table sat in front of the fireplace with two chairs.  Herbs hung from the ceiling and jars lined one who wall.  A bucket with water sat in one of the windows while a half eating piece of bread sat next to it.  The floor of the hut was bare earth.  There was a pile of blankets in one corner of the hut which Bellerophone assumed served as the occupants bed. 

Erebus nickered which caused Belerophone to and see what he was nickering about.  Bellerophone saw nothing, but decided to investigate the outside of the hut.  A pile of wood sat underneath the one window and several snakes were curled up underneath the other window.  Bellerophone gave them a wide berth since he didn't know what kind of snakes they were.  

Bellerophone walked back to Erebus and ran a hand over his smooth nose.  "I'm thinking that this is where the old hag lives.  We have no choice but to wait for her to return home."

Bellerophone led Erebus over to some rocks and sat down.  Erebus lowered his head and began to graze on the scant grass.  Bellerophone didn't want to unsaddle Erebus till he knew for sure that they would be welcome here.  Hours passed while Bellerophone waited.  He made himself comfortable on the rocks and settled back against the one he sat on.  He crossed his arms and tucked his chin against his chest as he fell into a light doze.  Little did Bellerophone know that he was being watched and that the old hag was closer than he thought.