Chapter 8

Even though the sun's rays rarely reached the forest floor it was still stifling hot.  The heat seemed to settle in the area between the forest floor and the canopy.  Insects buzzed constantly and they were thick in places.  Mosquitoes whined in ears and bit at ankles.  Puddles of standing water from last nights rain were breeding pit for gnats and bugs. 

Bellerophone stomped through the forest in a bad mood.  He hated the heat and bugs annoyed him.  He couldn't help but glare at Megaera's back as she watched ahead of him.  They were on the search for some sort of root and she had insisted that he accompany her.  Roots and herbs held no interest to Bellerophone.  He'd rather be practicing with his weapons.

"What exactly are we looking for?"

"A root little lordling.  There are only several places in this forest where you can find the root.  We will check all of the areas.  I need a dozen roots.  They have to be as big around as your pinkie finger and twice as long as your pointer finger.  The color of the root should be a pale yellow.  Anything else means that it is not good for what I need it for."

"Is this for another one of your potions for order?"

Megaera cackled.  "You're the first one to even say that.  Yes, but it's for a very special potion."

"What's so special about it?" Bellerophone grumbled.

Megaera stopped and gave Bellerophone a look that would wither a flower.  "The potion that I am making goes to a woman who is pregnant and in danger of losing her unborn babe."

"Oh," Belleropohne said in a contrite voice.

"Oh is right.  Next time you decide to open your mouth pause and think first."

Megaera turned around and started walking again.  Bellerophone followed after her like a puppy that had just been reprimanded.  He hated being scolded, but knew that this time he deserved it.  He remained silent as Megaera led them deeper and deeper into the forest.  She finally paused beside a tree and made her way slowly to her knees.  Her gnarled hands worked the small trowel she had into the ground.  Bellerophone knelt next to her and pulled out his knife so that he could help dig. Megaera unearthed the roots and began to gently touch them with her crooked fingers.  Bellerophone waited till she began to point out which roots she wanted.  Once they had collected half a dozen they covered the roots back up with soil and moved on to the next.  

They spent the next hour digging roots.  They finally had around three dozen roots in the bag that Bellerophone carried before Megaera said that they had enough.  Bellerophone stood up and tossed the bag over his shoulder.  Megaera struggled to her feet and Bellerophone surprised himself by offering her his hand.  She took it with a grunt and pulled herself to her feet.

The forest was beginning to darken as they headed back to the hut.  Bellerophone followed Megaera.  As they walked the forest darkened around them and strange eyes began to appear once more.  Bellerophone kept his hand on the pommel of his sword.  His eyes kept a sharp lookout as they walked.  Megaera it seemed wasn't fazed by all of the eyes staring back at them.  Bellerophone had a feeling that it was going to be a long walk back to the hut.