Chapter 9

"Tell me about this lady that you love."

Bellerophone looked up from where he was sitting outside on the pile of rocks sharpening his sword.  Megaera was settled on the ground six feet away weaving baskets.  Her gnarled hands made beautiful baskets.  She used the baskets for delivers.  Bellerophone had learned that Megaera would leave these baskets at a clearing in the forest for those who were brave enough to venture into the forest for her help.  She would wait until the recipients arrived, then she'd collect payment and tell them how to use what she'd prepared for them.

Bellerophone shrugged when Megaera looked up at him.  "She's absolutely beautiful.  I've told you that."

"Yes, but you haven't told me why you love.  What is it about her that draws you to her?  Is she smart or perhaps rich?  Why do you love her?  That is what I want to know."

Bellerophone had to sit and think how to answer her question.  He'd never really thought about why he loved Isabelle.  "She's very sociable.  Within her social circle of course.  She is a lady and it is acceptable for someone of my status to marry her even though she is higher up in social standing than I am.  Isabelle is rich and has several holdings in her name.  Whoever marries her will gain a lot of wealth.  Isabelle is very talented with a needle and makes amazing tapestries."

Megaera snorted as she finished weaving a basket.  She sat it aside and started on another one.  "The woman you love sounds very self centered and selfish."

"Why do you say that?"

"You say that she only talks to those in her social circle.  A lady of standing should talk to those above and below her social circle.  She should be nice to all."

"What about you?"

Megaera was silent as she weaved her baskets.  Her hands slowed as if she was remembering her life before know.  When she next spoke it was in a quiet voice filled with memories.  "I will not tell you my status or my standing with the royal family.  I lived in the castle and was around them a lot.  I always talked to those inside and outside my social circle.  The King, Queen, and the Princess did too.  They wanted everyone to feel welcome in their castle.  I have seen many girls like the one you speak of.  You will never be happy with her unless she loves you back."

"She'll love me."

"And what is love," Megaera demanded.  "When it is affected by a magical potion or talisman.  They can never love you, not the way you want them to love you."

"It is my choice."

Megaera shook her head.  "You'll regret it.  I have seen the results of my potions and it as led to a lot of anguish."

"I will take my chances."

"Then I wish you luck.  Heed my words.  Get to know Isabelle better before you give her the potion.  You'll than me."