Chapter 11

Spring had arrived and Bellerophone was ready to go home.  He packed up his belongings the night before he was to leave.  Megaera was quiet as she worked on the potion that would make Isabelle love him.  Bellerophone watched her curiously as she mixed the potion together.  Bellerophone knew enough from the past year of watching her make potions what was exactly in the potion.  It was a powerful love potion filled with aphrodisiacs. 

"There it is done.  This will work for several months if you want to slowly spread it out.  I will also send with you an amulet for her to wear.  She'll see the type of jewelry she loves.  If she wears it constantly then her love for you will never wane."

Bellerophone took the purple pouch of powder and followed Megaera over to the shelf that held her amulets.  She let him choice an amulet.  Bellerophone chose one that was purple since that was Isabelle's favorite color.  Megaera grunted as she turned away from him to look out the window.  The sky outside was overcast like always.

"I suggest that you leave in the morning.  A storm will blow through the forest later today."

Bellerophone stepped up behind Megaera and looked outside.  "I don't understand how you can know what the weather is going to be like.  It's always overcast here."

"It's part of my curse.  Ever since I was little I was able to discern the weather.  It only got stronger once that witch cursed me."

Megaera turned from the window and moved slowly over to the pallet on the floor.  She painfully lowered herself onto the mat.  Bellerophone watched as she presented him with her back.  All week she'd been moving more slowly than usual.  She also seemed to be in a lot of pain.  Bellerophone wasn't sure why.  Megaera had also been short with him, but that wasn't unusual.  Bellerophone cast a longing look at the sky before he prepared himself for bed.  Megaera didn't stir as he laid down beside her.  Bellerophone didn't notice the tears that Megaera cried.  He was oblivious to her feelings, but Megaera had always been good at hiding her deepest feelings from others.

Bellerophone rose with the dawn.  He bid Megaera a farewell and saddled Erebus.  Erebus nickered as Bellerophone pointed him in the direction of home.  Bellerophone paused when Megaera called out to him.  He turned to find her standing in front of her hut wrapped in a shawl.  Her face seemed especially hideous this morning. 

"Point Erebus straight ahead.  You'll quickly come to a forest trail.  Stay on the trail.  It'll lead you to the edge of the forest.  From there, you'll have to find your own way home."

Bellerophone bowed to Megaera from his saddle.  "I thank you Megaera.  May the sun always warm you back."

Bellerophone turned and nudged Erebus forward.  Bellerophone didn't look back as Megaera and her tiny hut faded behind them.  Erebus stepped quickly once they set foot on the trail.  Their journey through the forest went much faster than their trip into the forest.  It took them until nightfall to reach the edge of the forest.  Bellerophone made camp on the edge of the forest.  He planned on riding Erebus hard the next day.  If things went good, Bellerophone planned on being home in time for supper.

The day dawned fair and sweet.  Bellerophone took a deep breath of fresh spring air before he spurred Erebus into a gallop.  The landscape flew past them as Erebus's hooves pounded against the ground.  Bellerophone stopped only to eat and allow Erebus time to drink and rest.  Dusk was falling when Belerophone reached his home.  He slowed Erebus to a trot as they made their way to the stable.  Bellerophone was busy taking Erebus's saddle off when Stewart came fluttering into the stable.

"You're alive!"

Bellerophone laughed.  "Of course I"m alive."

"Then what happened.  You were gone for a year."

"The old hag said that in order to help me I had to spend a year with her."

"What did she give you?"

Bellerophone turned and threw an arm around Stewart's shoulders as they left the stable.  He didn't answer Stewart till they reached a shadowed corner.  Bellerophone dropped his arm from around Stewart's shoulder and pulled out the purple bag and amulet.  Stewart's eyes widened as he saw them.

"She gave me a potion to sprinkle into Isabelle's food and drink.  It'll make her slowly love me.  I can use this all at once or over the course of a few months and this."  Bellerophone held up the amulet.  "This is to ensure that she'll forever love me.  All she has to do is put it on and never take it off."

"Are you sure about this Bellerophone?"

Bellerophone sighed.  "Yes I'm sure Stewart.  I love Isabelle.  How is she?"

Stewart made a face.  "She's the same as always.  I have kept you in her thoughts.  You better move quickly.  There are several new suitors who are trying to gain her affection."

"I plan on starting tonight."

Bellerophone marched off in search of Isabelle.  He stopped by the kitchens and snagged some sweet meats which was Isabelle's favorite.  He found her in the gardens with several of her friends.  Isabelle looked haughtily at him as he approached.  Bellerophone bowed before he offered her the sweet meats.

"You look as beautiful as ever."

Isabelle's friends giggled and whispered to each other from behind their hands.  Isabelle gave him a tight smile before she accepted the sweet meats from him.  Bellerophone held his breath as Isabelle took a bite of the sweet meat that he had sprinkled with the potion.  Her pinched features smoothed out and she fluttered her eyelashes at him.

"Where have you been Bellerophone?  I was worried you'd never show back up."

Bellerophone gave Isabelle his handsomest smile.  "I went on a trip.  It took longer than expected.  Please forgive me."

Isabelle simpered at him while her friends giggled.  Bellerophone held out his arm and Isabelle slipped her hand around his bicep.  Bellerophone told her a story of where he'd been.  As they talked Bellerophone was happy, but something was missing.  He couldn't quite figure out what it was.  All Bellerophone hoped was that it'd get better as he made Isabelle fall in love with him.