Lucky or Cursed?

Chapter 2—Lucky or Cursed?

Have you ever wondered if you were going insane? Well, in that moment in which Echo told me what he was, I couldn't believe it, even after we seemingly transported from the diner to his home.

"You're joking, right?"

Echo frowned. "Why would I joke about something like that?"

"I don't know. Maybe you like to play sick and twisted games to mess with people you've just met."

"Do I really seem like the type?" he asked.

"Yes," I admitted. "You seem friendly in a sketchy kind of way."

"But look at this face. I'm not some creep. I'm simply a guy who wants some company."

"You're a guy who claims that he's a warlock, and I'm not buying it."

He snapped his fingers and waved his hand. I slid towards him as if he were controlling me.

"If I wasn't a warlock, how could I have managed that?"

"Moving panels on the floor or something," I replied.

"How do you explain how I got you here?" he asked.

"Trapped door maybe. For all I know, we could be right below the diner."

He rubbed his chin. "You're quite the skeptic, aren't you?"

"I just don't like to trust people too easily. I've been fooled too many times in my life, and I'm tired of it."

"Yes, I see. Well, you tell me, Lennox. What can I do to make you believe in my powers?"

"You actually expect me to believe that you're magical? I'm not a child. I know you're not a real wizard."

"Warlock," he corrected me.

"Warlock," I repeated. "You're not one. I know it."

"Just give me something to do. Name anything, and I'll do it."

"Okay," I said. "Um, turn my skin blue."

"That's it? Simple," he said, and flicked his finger.

I watched as my arms started to change color.

"Wait, you probably rigged this place with spray or lights or something."

"Alright then. You're hard to please. What else do you want me to do?"

"Change me into...a talking purple panda."

He chuckled. "You want me to turn you into a panda?"

"Yep. I bet you can't do that."

"As you wish," he answered and stared at me for a minute. He paused and kept his gaze trained on me.

"Nothing's happening," I said.

"Well, shape-shifting takes time."

He held his hands out and twisted and turned them around as if he were mentally molding me.

And then, I felt it. My body was transforming. I felt an odd sensation. My muscles felt like they were all being pulled at the same time. I started to feel numb but the feeling in my body returned in a matter of seconds. I observed what I had become. Echo had just turned me into a furry, unusually colored panda.

I held up my arms and stared at my paws. I felt all around my body. I even gave myself a hug. I was so warm and cuddly in the most freakishly disturbing way.

"Do you believe me yet?" Echo asked, letting out a fake yawn.

"Change me back!" I screamed hysterically. "I can't be a panda!"