Mind Games

Chapter 6—Mind Games

The next morning, Echo woke me up and threw something at me.

"Wear this to training," he instructed.

I sat up and looked at the clothing.

"What the heck is this? It's like a super long sack with sleeves and a zipper."

"Precisely," he stated. "I don't want any distractions during training today."

"Exactly how is my outfit going to distract me?" I questioned as I slid out of bed.

"I wasn't referring to you," he mumbled. "Now, get ready."

As expected, Fallon was already out of her bed. So, I guess I would always start an hour after her. If that was a good or bad thing, I wasn't so sure. She'll definitely gain more magical skills than me.

I wore the zippered sack, tied up my hair, slipped on a pair of shoes and headed towards the training room. The map in my head swirled around, though. It gave me a slight headache and told me there was a duplicate of the room, but I ignored it. I headed to where I knew it was.

I walked up to Echo and said, "I look like a bag of potatoes."

"Perfect. That's what I was hoping for. Now, did you practice levitating that ball?"

"Um, no...not really," I admitted.

"Ah, distractions again," he said. "Well, today, you're going to work on something else."

"What?"

"You're going to levitate."

"Levitate what?"

"Yourself," he explained.

"I can't even make a ball hover. What makes you think that I can levitate myself?"

"Well, you're going to use your energy on yourself as opposed to a foreign object," he replied. "So, maybe you'll be able to focus more."

"I don't want to let you down again," I said, honestly.

"Then don't," he stated simply. "Now, close your eyes or whatever. Obviously, mass and weight don't matter because I watched you levitate a chair the other day. It's just focus that you need."

I closed my eyes and pictured myself hovering over the floor. I've always dreamed of being able to do that. It was actually quite simple for me to push out the rest of the world and focus on me. I know it sounds selfish, but it was a bit like meditating. After about ten seconds, I heard Echo's voice.

"You're doing it," he whispered. And that's when I felt myself whoosh out of the air, and my butt met the hardwood floor.

I opened my eyes and Echo stared down at me, chuckling.

"Why are you laughing? I failed."

"Just the landing, but we can work on that. I commend you for being able to hover for so long."

"It was only for a few seconds."

"That's better than nothing," he answered. "Now, I know that you're not completely incompetent as a witch."

"A witch?"

"Um, the female version of a warlock," he explained.

"No, no, I know what a witch is. It's just...it feels a little weird being called one. And it's referring to a magical person as opposed to a snarky one on the street."

"Well, now I know that you can levitate yourself. I guess we should be in here alone more often."

"What do you mean?"