Dangerous

Chapter 10—Dangerous

I woke up the next morning and found Echo staring at me. He looked worried.

“Is everything okay?” I asked, looking up at him.

He remained silent but leaned down and kissed me near my collarbone.

“I was right,” he said, tracing his fingers over my skin.

I glanced down and saw the outline of an old key with three protruding teeth glowing on my skin.

“It’s your special crest,” I realized. “When you inscribed me with it, the symbol faded away. Why is it back?”

“Because you and I share a strong magical bond now. Our connection is greater than ever. You will forever possess that crest because I, a mentor, made love to you, my apprentice.”

“What exactly does that mean? I’m going to have to hide this symbol?” I asked. “Am I going to have to wear turtlenecks and stuff?”

“No, that symbol shall fade once more, but what lies within you is the power that comes with it.”

“Power?”

“Lennox, according to the rules of magic, it was definitely against my better judgment to cater to my emotions.”

“Are you trying to say that what happened was a mistake?” I inquired, feeling a bit hurt.

“No, Lennox. Believe me, I care for you deeply. I care about you more than I should, and I made my decision. But I’m disappointed in myself for not thinking about the consequences.”

“What happens?” I asked.

“It’s all written in that book,” he replied. “And there’s so much more that’s written in there.”

“Echo, what’s going to happen to us? Are we going to be killed?”

“No, nothing like that…I hope,” he replied.

“What? You hope?”

“Lennox, calm down,” he told me. “It’s just…I was thinking about how you were able to command me to stop when I was about to leave my study. I realized that our close encounters with each other had to do with the Warlock and Witch Clause, specifically the mentorship section.”

“So…you somehow transferred more magic to me by kissing me?”

He nodded. “It appears so.”

“Well…what happens when we…you know…”

“You hold almost as much power as I do now,” he responded.

“And that’s dangerous,” I realized.

“Do you know why it’s dangerous?”

“Because…you like control, and you don’t enjoy the fact that I have that much power.”

“Yes, that’s partially my reason, but the bigger problem is that you hold much power that you don’t know how to use.”

“I might blow up with emotions and make something literally blow up because of my unruly magical skills.”

“Exactly,” he explained. “You and I must work harder than ever to help you hone your skills. Otherwise, something could go terribly wrong.”

“Maybe—”

I was cut off when there was a bang on the door.

“Echo, Lennox, I know you two are in there!” Brant yelled from the other side.