Echo's Story

Chapter 5—Echo’s Story

“Why are you doing this? I helped you become what you are, Quinn!”

“You always talked about having control. Now, I have it, and I want that control that you obviously treasure.”

“But I never used my magic like this.”

“But you always wanted to, Echo. I could see it in your eyes. You’re power-hungry, and you know it.”

“Sadly, you’re mistaken. The power-hungry one is you. You’re the one who’s using your newfound powers to destroy me.”

“You chose me to be your apprentice. I agreed to have you as my mentor, and now you want to take the powers back? I don’t think so. You’re asking for too much,” Quinn argued.

“It’s very difficult for me to do this, but if I have to hurt you, I will.”

“Hurt me? You wouldn’t do that. I thought you were a good warlock, Echo. You wouldn’t dare.”

“You are not worthy of the powers you have developed. They must be stripped away from you. There is so much more you need to learn, but you’ve lost my respect. Now, Quinn—”

“Shut up, Echo. You don’t own me.”

“Now, I want the rest of your powers. Palms up,” Quinn said, waving her hand to manipulate Echo’s hands.

He was breathing hard. He was weak, and his hands willingly rose to face Quinn.

She started chanting, but fifteen seconds later, Echo yelled out some gibberish and snapped his fingers. Quinn collapsed, and Echo looked stronger than ever.

*

Echo’s lips left mine, and I just stood there.

“W—what was that? You just…kissed me and all of these things—”

“That was my story, Lennox. Quinn was the previous girl that I tried to mentor, but she turned on me. This is why I’m trying to be so cautious with you. This is why I’m trying to keep as much control as possible because I let my guard down once. I can’t let it happen again.”

“I would never—”

“Don’t tell me that you’d never do what Quinn did. I never thought she would do that either, but magic does something to the mind. It consumes you until it’s all you ever want. Right now, you can barely levitate a ball, but once you learn how to control your powers, no one knows what will happen.”

“If you were so afraid, why did you choose to mentor me?”

“I have to. It’s forbidden for us warlocks to keep the power just for ourselves. It’s our duty to spread it to people who hold the potential. It’s what helps us thrive as magical creatures.”

“Your duty? Like superheroes?”

“Lennox, this is no joke. We don’t go around saving the world. We simply share our gift with the people who want it, just as long as they don’t crack like Quinn and attempt to become a dictator.”

“What happened to her?” I asked.

“I took back all of her powers, except for the basics. That’s all I could manage. She’s only a level one witch now.”

“In other words, the only thing she can do is object manipulation,” I replied.

“Exactly,” Echo said. “But she’s a master at it.”