Dreams

Chapter 8—Dreams

Echo walked into his bedroom as I finished gathering all of the cleaning supplies and placed them in the corner.

“Very well done. You may not be as useless as I thought you’d be,” he said, looking around the room.

“You had a very messy room. For someone who could clean it with a snap of the fingers, you’re very untidy.”

“But then what would you do as your job? I had to think of something for you to do as my maid. I mean, it’s the least you could do.”

I shrugged. “Well, I finished. Where do you want these cleaning supplies?”

“I’ll take care of that,” he said, waving his hand and slowly making them disappear.

“Okay, well that works,” I said and headed for the door.

“Lennox, wait.”

I turned around. “Yeah?”

“I need to tell you something.”

“Okay…go on.”

He sighed and said, “Give me a minute. And then let me explain.”

I waited and watched as he focused on an empty corner of the room. He moved his arms back and forth and the form of a small bed started to appear.

“What’s the second bed for? Do you have a guest coming over?” I asked. “It’s not that girl, Marilyn, is it?”

“No. If she was staying, I wouldn’t need a second bed,” he replied.

I frowned and mumbled, “Too much information.”

Echo chuckled a little. “I’m just kidding. Actually, it’s for you.”

“Why? Am I in trouble? Did I do something wrong?”

“No, it’s just—after what happened with Fallon, I don’t think I would feel comfortable with you having to share a room with her. I don’t trust her.”

“Well, before you offer me a corner of your bedroom, let me remind you that you don’t trust me either. What makes you think that I’m not planning anything?”

“Oh, trust me, I would know. But you do have a point. I value my privacy,” he said and waved his arm very quickly.

The small bed disappeared.

“I knew you’d change your mind,” I told him.

“I guess I’ll have to offer you the empty bedroom across the hallway. Follow me.”

I trailed behind him as he led me to the other bedroom. It looked quite similar to the one I shared with Fallon, but it was much more spacious without the second bed and other nightstand.

“From now on, this is your room. Move your things, and you’ll be staying here starting tonight. If Fallon questions you, try to ignore her. I don’t want you two arguing again. Got it?”

“Got it,” I replied.

After dinner, which turned out to be an awkward half hour of silence and icy glares, I headed to the room and gathered my things. Thankfully, I hadn’t taken the items out of the shopping bags yet.

“Are you moving out?” Fallon asked.

I shook my head.

“Where are you going then?” she asked.

“Out of this room,” I said, simply.

“So, I get this one all to myself?”

I nodded. “I guess so.”