35

Kelsey's Point of View:

My stomach dropped.

"Who the hell would want to kill you?" I said, shocked.

That was a stupid question and I realized that the moment I opened my mouth.

Of course he has someone who would want to kill him, he has enemies. I spat knowingly to myself. I inwardly rolled my eyes.

"Isn't it obvious?" Shawn scoffed with a shake of his head, the anger evident in his voice and eyes. The one golden, honey brown color turning into a dark mist, erasing every speck of innocence they once held and replacing them with hatred.

I continued to look at him, waiting for Shawn to elaborate. There could be a lot of people after him. How would I know which one it was?

"It was Luke." He spat disgustingly, his face twisting in the look of utmost loathe.

I cringed at the name, not wanting to remember what he had did to me but I couldn't help but wonder... "Why would Luke try to kill you?"

Shawn hoarsely laughed, shaking his head. "Why wouldn't he?" He turned his eyes away from the ashes of his car to me.

I shrugged. "I don't know..."

"Don't be naïve, Kelsey." Shawn licked his lips, looking into my eyes.

"I'm not." I argued.

"You are." He looked away. "He has every reason to want me dead."

"But, why--"

"Because we got away." He looked at me once more. "Don't you get it?"

I slowly shook my head.

He sighed, closing his eyes tight before opening them up again. "We got away, we left without a look back. He wanted me dead, he wanted me gone--scratch that--he wanted you gone."

My eyes widened. "Me? Why?"

"Because he knew how much you meant to me." Shawn whispered, his eyes vacant, his body with me but his mind elsewhere. "He knew that by taking you and making you go through hell that it would kill me. Having you dead would be the ultimate revenge." He cleared his throat before continuing. "I wouldn't be able to think straight if you were gone and he would have an easy target to take me down."

I nodded my head, slowly progressing this but also understanding. I felt my heart accelerate when he said he cared but it also dropped at the thought of me dying and Shawn being left to die as well.

"His plan got ruined however when I showed up and put him through hell. He hated it and when we both left hand in hand, that pissed him off even more because we got away safely even if we had a few scratches on us." He paused. "He wants revenge, Kelsey." Shawn sighed bitterly. "And he won't stop until he gets it."

I bit my lip. "I just don't get why he would go through all of this when you let him live..."

Shawn humorlessly laughed. "He's fucked up in the head, Kels." Looking down at his hands, I watched as he continued to explain everything to me. "He wants me out of the picture."

"I don't get how this all started anyways. I mean, why go through all of this when he's alive and well? Even if you shot him, he's still breathing--"

"You won't ever understand."

I frowned. "Yes, I will. You just have to ex--"

Shawn shook his head. "I already told you too much."

"But, Shawn--"

"No." He spoke straight and to the point, showing me he meant business. "That's enough."