48

Kelsey's Point of View:

"I can't be seen with you."

My heart stopped beating the second those words escaped Shawn's lips. My body fell limp and my eyes widened. Licking my lips, I tried to wrap my head around what he had just said. After what felt like forever, I finally managed to speak up. "W-What do you mean?"

Shawn ran his fingers through my hair while cupping my cheek into the palm of his hand. Sincerity filled his hazel eyes as he stared deeply into my chocolate ones. "I mean what I said," He sighed, shaking his head. "I can't be seen with you."

"Why not?"

"If the cops see you with me, they'll immediately add you into the investigation list. They'll ask you anything and everything about me, my whereabouts, how you know me, our relationship... they'll try to pry information out of you and even though I trust you, it's them I don't trust because they know just how to word things enough to get you to confess even if you didn't think you did or didn't mean to."

"I can't just sit back and wait for this all to blow over." I licked my lips. "It's not that easy, Shawn."

"I know it's not baby but you have to." Sighing, he stroked my hair. "Trust me, it's best for both of us."

"But I want to help." I stared up at him with big eyes.

"You want to help?"

I nodded.

"Then listen to me and just stay away for a few days. It's better that way."

Biting the inside of my cheek, I shifted my gaze to the floor knowing he was right.

"I can't have you under pressure especially with your parents knowing about us. If the cops come to your house to question you about me, all hell would break loose."

While the information sunk in, I nodded my head in understanding. He was right--my parents would first demand to know what the cops were doing at my house and if I told them, they'd kill me. They'd forbid me to see Shawn and take Carly's word over mine and I couldn't have that happening.

"This fucking sucks." I muttered lowly, chewing on the dry skin of my lip. "You're right; we can never catch a break. You more than me but when was the last time we actually spent time together without trouble being right around the corner?"

Shawn stared into my eyes with sadness, knowing all that I was saying was positively true. "I know baby," He murmured. "But, I promise, once this all blows over, I'll make it up to you. Okay?"

I couldn't help but smile at his solemnity. "Okay."

Pressing his lips against mine, all the passion and angst he felt, transferred through and I felt everything.

After a few minutes, we finally managed to pull away from one another, our breathing completely hitched as he rigidly tried to contain it back.

"Sooner or later," Shawn mumbled against my lips, "we're going to make it. I promise you."

Touching our foreheads together, I captured his lips with mine, giving him a tender kiss before pulling away. "I know..." I faintly smiled. "I'm just going to miss you."

Shawn chuckled. "I'm sure you can manage for a few days." He winked playfully, leaving a chaste kiss on my cheek.

"A few days?" My eyebrows rose. "Are you kidding me?"

"This is a murder investigation babe; it doesn't die down in just a few hours."

I sighed. "Right..." Slumping my shoulders, I looked away, the cold air whisking its way through the both of us.