57

Kelsey's Point of View:

We all waited patiently—or should I say impatiently as the cops arrived. Neither of us were allowed to move being as a showdown had occurred not even a half hour ago.

I bit my lip as a bald headed guy maneuvered his way through the tables and over to the huddle of people standing near my family, Shawn and I.

Luke was god knows where at this point but I assumed he must have gone off to wash the blood smeared all over his face due to the fact Shawn had broken his nose.

Shawn stiffened up beside me and I could tell, he knew exactly who the man in the uniform was.

"Well, well, well... why am I not surprised?" A wicked smirk spread across his lips. "Mendes was behind this whole mess." Shaking his head, he pulled out a pad and pen. "Who's the owner of this fine place?"

Shawn bitterly looked away, his jaw twitching, his eyes hard as a rock. He was beyond pissed at this point.

"I am sir," The man in the suit, otherwise known as Dennis, walked over, standing up straight beside us.

Leaning over, he shook hands with the officer.

"Can you tell me exactly what happened here tonight?" After scribbling something down on his notepad, he looked up at Dennis with intensity, his ears perked to what Dennis had to say.

Licking his lips, Dennis nodded. "I was greeting a few customers out in the left area of the diner, asking them if they liked their food, making simple conversation when I heard commotion come from this area." He pointed all around him.

"Mhm," The bald headed man wrote a few things down before looking back up at him. "What was the commotion about?"

"This young lady, Kelsey Jones," He put a hand on my shoulder, "was being held at gunpoint by that fella over there." Pointing in the direction Luke was last seen, we all turned to see the area vacant.

Furrowing his eyebrows, confusion pinched his features. Scratching the top of his head, he looked all around him. "He was just there a few moments ago."

"Well, where is he now?" The officer turned around, trying to catch a glimpse of anything out of the ordinary.

My stomach churned painfully as realization hit that Luke didn't leave to wash himself off. But instead, he escaped.

Shawn remained rigid, not moving an inch despite the horrible news.

"What do you mean the bastard is not here?" My dad hissed. "He was just here! How the hell could he have left?"

"Calm down, Paul." My mom murmured softly, not wanting my dad to lose his temper in front of a policeman.

"Who was the fella that held Ms. Jones at gunpoint? We will put our men on a lookout for the attacker. You do not have to worry..."

"Mr. Jones." My dad responded with a sneer.

"Mr. Jones." He nodded, scribbling something else down. "What's the name of the—"

"Luke." Shawn spat. "His fucking name is Luke Delgado."

I bit my lip, praying to God that his profanity didn't get him in trouble.

Snapping his fingers, two other officers appeared. Speaking in low tones, they exchanged quick conversation before they left, talking into their walkie-talkies, disappearing out the front doors and into their cars.

"We have an APB out on Mr. Delgado. In the meantime, can you proceed to tell us what happened?"

"Yes," Dennis gulped. "Luke warned us all not to move or call the authorities or else he'd shoot her. He seemed to have known what he was doing because he started a disagreement with this young man right here." Gesturing over to Shawn, the officer nodded. "They exchanged a few... words, threatening one another. This young man right here was trying to have Kelsey released but nothing seemed to work. Until a few moments later, Kelsey had done something to release the man's grip off of her and that was when I had left to call you."