56

Kelsey's Point of View:

My stomach plummeted to the ground in horror. This couldn't be happening right now.

The moment Shawn froze up beside me, I knew something was wrong but I never expected the reason behind that was because Luke was here.

Out of all days for him to come here, it had to be today.

"Kelsey, sweetheart, are you okay?" It was my mom but for some reason despite how close she was, she seemed so far away.

I gulped, watching as Luke smiled flirtatiously—or in my perspective—disgustingly at the host before she giggled, and laying a hand to his shoulder while gesturing with the other towards what I presumed was their seats.

Just as they turned to follow the host, an unfamiliar friend of Luke's tapped his chest, pointing towards something and immediately Luke's gaze began to turn in my direction.

Snapping my head to face my parents, I pinched Shawn's hand to grab his attention as well.

"Kelsey, are you alright?" A worried expression found its way to my mom's face.

"Oh, uhm, yeah, I'm fine." Shaking my head, I took a sip of my drink.

"You're shaking honey." Concern tinted her words and it wasn't until I looked down that I noticed that I was.

"Kelsey..." My dad began now, his eyebrows creased. "Are you sure you're okay?"

Shawn's eyes seared against the side of my face, his gaze so intense it could, if possible, burn holes through my flesh. I knew he wanted to say something but if he did, his cover would be blown and all hell would break loose.

Licking my lips, I cleared my throat. "I'm fine; I just thought I saw a bug or something..." I waved a hand dismissively, trying to change the subject off of me.

"A bug?" Dennis looked at me, finally speaking since we've arrived.

"Yes." I hissed. "A bug." Once I saw the look of surprise cross Dennis's face, guilt kicked in. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to snap at you." Sighing, I stood up. "Can I be excused for a moment please?"

"Where are you going?" My dad asked, taken back by all that's happening.

"Bathroom."

My mother nodded, gesturing with her hands for me to go. "We'll be here when you get back."

I gave her a sympathetic smiling, silently thanking her, giving Shawn a desperate look right after in which to say I was both nervous and worried.

Slipping out of his spot next to me in the booth, he waited for me to come out as well before looking down at me with a solemn expression. Cupping my cheek into the palm of his hand, he caressed it gently, his eyes boring into mine. Leaning down, he pressed his lips to my forehead. "It's going to be okay." He mumbled.

"I know." I whispered, shooting him a small smile before brushing past him and walking to the bathroom, Shawn's eyes on me the entire walk there.

Pulling on the handle, I stepped inside the open space, the door whooshing to a close behind me, making me jump in fright from the unexpected sound.

Cursing my life to the extreme, I forced myself to relax. Walking over to a sink of five perched on the wall across from the bathroom stalls; I stared at my reflection in the mirror.

My face was drained of its natural color, looking as though I've seen a ghost. My cheeks were tinted red, my palms sweaty.

Licking my lips, I turned on the faucet, letting the cold water run wildly before putting my hands under it. Goosebumps erupted against my skin from the unforeseen cold. Biting the inside of my cheek, I took my damp hands, pressing them against my cheeks, trying to get rid of the warmth.