Chapter 6

I stood over the stove with a spatula in one hand and the frying pan in the other. Alex was lying upside down on the couch with Toby's history book held over him. Toby sat amongst notebooks on the floor being quizzed on early American History. Dad would be home any minute now.

Taking care of Toby was the good kind of numbing I needed in my life. All of the drama of school and life was numb and distant. My first priority when I wake up is getting Toby to school on time. My last thought before bed is making sure Toby's safe under his covers. I know he can take care of himself, but part of me still wants him not to take care of himself. He's too young to be independent.

Hell. Another two years and he'll be the same age I was when mom left. I wasn't just independent. I was taking care of Toby and dad. I don't want Toby to have that weight on his shoulders. I'll be leaving for college at the end of summer, and then, it'll just be the two of them. I hate thinking about it. At least dad will be there for him. He sure as hell wasn't there for me.

"Is dinner ready yet?" Toby called.

"Almost. Be patient," I told him.

Our house wasn't anything big. We didn't actually have to shout to each other. I can hear dad snore at night, and the sound of creaking stairs can wake dad in the early hours. I learned that one the hard way sneaking in early in the morning. I'm not complaining though. More than just the three of us call this place home. Alex spends more time here than not. Katie stays for weeks in the summer. We've housed drunks after parties, and parties after dark.

"Nice to see you've made yourself at home again, Alex," dad said as he walked through the door.

"Toby. Alex. Come set the table," I called.

There were a series of textbooks closing and a few bangs I could only guess were Alex's feet returning to the ground. The two came clambering in together followed by my dad. I moved the frypan to the table where the rest of the food was already sitting. I sat beside Alex across from dad. Everyone helped themselves in silence. The only sound was spoons on ceramic.

"Did you get ahold of Allen yet?" dad asked me with the concern from last night still lingering.

"No. He won't return my calls," I told him sullenly.

"What about your new boyfriend, Richie Rich?" Toby asked teasingly.

"Yes. Please tell us all about how Richie Rich is today," Alex egged me on jokingly.

"You guys are terrible," I said but couldn't help blushing.

"New boyfriend? How didn't I hear about this?" dad asked with a smile.

I swear he's only in it for the gossip.

"You didn't hear about a new boyfriend because there isn't one."

"Is that where you were yesterday?" dad persisted.

"They had dinner," Alex said as if dinner was the most impressive thing he'd ever heard of.

Dad smiled. "Ohhh. Dinner? Are we talking take out or dine in?"

"If you must know, it was home cooking," I added.

"I didn't even know millionaires cooked," Toby said shocked.

"Home cooking is a relative term," I said sheepishly.

"Their personal chef made steak. I don't think home cooking is a term I'd relate to that," Alex informed them.

I smacked his shoulder. "Whose side are you on?"

"Boys rule. Girls drool," he replied and high fived Toby across the table.

"What's Sir Subtlety's name?" dad asked me directly.