Chapter 15

"Shhh. It's just me," Danny's voice said softly as I looked up at the person that threw me into my truck.

"What the hell. You could have started with hello," I told him sitting up.

"I thought you might try to run," he told me a bit bitterly. "Are you ready to explain what happened yesterday?"

"It just feels like so much shit has gone wrong in the past few weeks since I met you-"

"I'm going to stop you right there," Danny told me as if he'd heard enough. "I know. There's plenty of issues going on lately, but do you really believe I'm to blame?"

"I mean, I just can't handle drama that people cause since I'm always around you. Tessa is just too much. I can handle everyone else, but she really has it out for-"

"Where did Tessa come into this?" Danny asked confused. "Did she say something to you? If so, I'll personally shove her heels down her throat."

"Sounds like what I told Katie I wanted to do," I told him trying to smile faintly.

"Is, what did Tessa do?" Danny ask me now even more upset than when we first got in the truck.

"She didn't say a lot. She just used the right words. It's not just her, Danny. All the girls are mad. They all have a few strong words to say," I told him honestly remembering the stall.

"Is, I never wanted any of this for you. I don't want people hurting you any more than you do. Trying to push me away isn't the solution," he told me trying hard to be patient.

"I know. It was just easier to blame you and let it be over with than actually try to fix it," I told him feeling stupid. "I'm sorry."

"Your logic is faulty. However, you look better in my clothes than I do, so apology accepted."

I looked up at him as he smirked down at me. His brown eyes gleamed bright before hiding behind a wink momentarily. I mirrored his smirk suddenly feeling like the Grinch when his heart grows. I shifted awkwardly to wrap my arms around him. He returned the gesture with his arms around me heavily.

"Careful. People might think we're dating," he told me teasingly.

"How scandalous," I replied sarcastically.

I'd love to say that the next three weeks were as exciting as the two before, but they really weren't. Allen and I didn't talk much. For one, he was home bound getting clean. Two, he hadn't made up his mind about us yet, and three, every day that passed made it feel like I needed him less than I thought. Danny told the entire school that Tessa contracted AIDS from some guy at a party, and since Danny said it, everyone believes him. She hasn't dared to step out of her comfort zone. Dad is still being sketchy, but he refuses to talk to me about what's upsetting him.

I pulled into Danny's driveway with Katie sitting in my passenger's seat. Danny was sure to inform us it was a pajama party. He wanted a very laid back night, so he told us if we showed up in normal clothes were weren't aloud through the door. Therefore, I was wearing a nice pair of grey sweatpants and a Bon Jovi tour shirt that used to be my dad's. It was comfy and loose, and I was already loving this idea.

Katie looked as beautiful as always. She was in a pair of pajama shorts that showed her long tanned legs and a pink t shirt. Her hair was up in a bun, and her tote bag was slung over one shoulder reminding me a lot of how she looks when she goes to the yoga place she likes so much.

"Do you know who he invited?" Katie asked me as she put chapstick on.

"Just everyone at lunch. It's not really a big thing," I told her and hopped out of the truck. She joined me at the front of the truck as we headed for the front door.