Chapter 24

To many, the halloween tradition is a time to dress up and go out seeking thrills. Kids eat candy by the buckets full, and teenagers drink til their livers go out. Adults stay home handing out candy or taking their young ones out to the streets. Me? I love halloween for the movies. Classic horror film marathons, and the biggest sack of cheap dollar store candy sitting in my lap. Katie always showed up at my house hoping I'll be in some grand costume ready to dance the night away, but a year hasn't come yet that she hasn't been disappointed in me. Alex usually spends at least one night in October just watching movies with me. When I was young, I would go out trick or treating with Toby and my mom. She loved halloween, but ever since she told me I was too old to dress up, I've been a Halloween recluse.

Halloween was exactly one week after Homecoming this year, and because it was on a Saturday, everyone in school planned on heading out to party. Friday afternoon was a very exciting time for the school. People making plans, and the buzz of rumors filled everyone's ears in every hallway. When I finally reached Ancient History with Danny, I thought I might explode if another person mentioned Halloween. To my displeasure, it was Danny's first topic.

"What are your plans for Halloween?" He asked me as soon as I sat down.

"Oh my god," I said frustratedly as I dropped my bag down beside me. "I'm not going to any parties, Danny, and I'm not dressing up."

"Why?" He asked me confused.

"I just don't do the whole dressing up thing anymore, and people our age just wear lingerie anyways. Why would that sound appealing to me?" I asked him honestly.

"Because you have a wonderful body, and you're a nice person that wants to gift the world with showing it off," he joked.

"You're such a guy sometimes," I grumble as I open my notebook.

"So why don't you go to parties then? You don't have to dress if you don't want to," he questioned me now turning fully to face me.

"I just have no interest, and I've been thinking a lot lately, actually," I started. "I really don't think parties are really my scene."

"Say it's not so," he faked dramatically. "You're going to ruin my chances of ever winning a game of beer pong again. Seriously though, you're throwing away your crazy talent."

"Tragedy I'm willing to pay," I told him with a small smile.

"What are your plans tonight then?" He asked me as the bell rang.

"I don't have any," I told him scrunching my eyebrows together confused.

"Now you do," he told me as the lesson started.

When Danny showed up at my house later, I wasn't sure what to expect. His attire was rather dark, and immediately, I had a feeling I'm improperly dressed. He had long dark jeans on with a black T shirt. His dark brown hair as messy as usual. The way his eyes scanned me skeptically confirmed my suspicions. The second we got upstairs, he began rummaging through my closet.

"Make yourself at home," I said sarcastically as I sat down on my bed.

"Here. I knew you had this sweatshirt in here," he instructed me to put my black hoodie on.

"Are we robbing a bank or something," I asked as I pulled the hoodie over my head.

He plopped down on the bed next to me and looked at me with eyebrows raised. "It's mischief night, Is. Haven't you ever gone out on mischief night?"

I instantly felt my face flush. "No. I don't usually ruin people's days for fun."

"We only hit people's houses that deserve it," he told me shoving his hand deep into his pocket to retrieve a piece of paper. "I made a list."