Chapter 22

"So you're going to meet with her then?" Alex asked me confused.

Katie and Alex were sat on the floor of Alex's room with me. The news that I was going with Toby to meet up with my mom was a little shocking to say the least. My dad called her at the number she was trying to get to him at, and November 12th was decided on. October was moving too fast for me now, and I didn't realize how much I was rueing the day I'd have to see her. It's been three years, and we've gotten on just fine without her. She shouldn't be aloud to just hold this power over us.

"You know, guys, I really don't want to talk about the she devil," I confessed honestly. "Can we change the topic? Katie! What is the news on Will?"

"He's been so sweet. He keeps carrying my books for me, and we have been texting back and forth nonstop the past few days," she told us with a smile.

"Ah yes. The honeymoon stage," Alex said while dramatic clutching his chest. "Immediately followed by the 'why don't you ever do sweet things for me anymore?' stage."

"You're such a downer," I said kicking him lightly. "I, for one, am glad you guys are doing well."

"It's not like we're dating. We're in that weird in between zone," she explained.

"Oh, Issy knows all about that stage. She's been in that stage for a solid month and a half," Alex teased.

"What are you talking about?" I questioned.

"Psshhhh. You and Danny have been walking that tightrope since you met for Christ's sake," he told me as if it was obvious.

"Danny and I aren't together," I told him sternly. "Simple as that."

"So you're saying if he were to go to homecoming with someone else, it wouldn't bother you even a little bit?" Katie pushed with a smug look sat on her pristine face.

"I don't know. Maybe a little, but he deserves to be happy. If they make him happy, he shouldn't hold back," I told them without holding anyone's gaze.

"Then why do you?" Alex asked me with a shake of his head. "That guy lights up like a Christmas tree when he's with you."

"Danny is just a friend though. I can't think about being in a relationship right now anyways," I told them matter of factly.

"Oh my god," Katie said frustrated. "You're just making excuses. You don't need to be single to have a grip on your life."

"It might even help if we're being honest here," Alex added.

"Well, I don't even know how I feel about him, so can we just drop it?" I told them angrily.

"Fine," Katie said. "Here I thought you two would be going to homecoming together tomorrow."

We all settled on the fact that I didn't want to talk about it. We all went out to see a movie at the theater before going our separate ways. Katie wanted extra beauty sleep, and Alex wanted to sleep with a beauty. I came back to the quiet house to find dad and Toby playing cards in the living room. Apolo lifted himself from where he laid on the couch to come greet me. Toby's hair sat in every direction, and dad's half awake state told me they had been playing a while. I sat down and got dealt in.

"When does Allen get out of the hospital?" Dad asked half awake.

"Next week," I told them as I arranged my cards.

Dad yawned then spoke. "I thought you were going to be later. Toby and I were planning to make sandwiches."

"You haven't eaten yet?" I asked completely caught off guard. "It's almost ten thirty. When were you going to stop for dinner?"