5) The Talented Liar

"Back  it up there, dude..." Ava trailed off, her brows risen so high they could disappear over her hairline. "So you're saying with a straight face you've known since 1943 that I would one day travel from the future to the past using a time turner descended from Godric Gryffindor..." Ava finished, crossing her arms.

The last two hours passed by quickly. Everyone was so very curious as to how Harry's trial at the Ministry of Magic, no one paid attention to Dumbledore escorting Ava to a random area of the house. No one paid attention to Dumbledore locking the door behind him, and no one came to look for him even after he used spells to enchant the entryway to permit no one from listening in on the conversation. They gave him privacy.

Dumbledore took the last two hours to explain how Ava's mother was given the time turner long ago. Estelle Thornheart purposely used the time turner to propel herself into an alternate time. She planned on going by a fake identity during the duration of her pregnancy before she flew to America to start herself a new life. Based on Ava growing up in foster care, Dumbledore assumed she must have died during childbirth or was killed sometime prior to Ava being placed into foster care. He claimed that to be the only way Estelle Thornheart would give up her child willingly.
Ava's last name is not actually Black - that was an alias Estelle adopted in order to start a new identity. Cedrella Black was once a great friend to Estella, and it was this friendship that Dumbledore claimed caused Ava's true mother to change her name.

"Your birth was prophesied long ago, Avalon." Dumbledore smiled, a sort of twinkle behind his spectacles.
Ava stared at him.
She was still waiting for the moment she woke up from this insanity. Exciting things such as this don't happen to terribly boring individuals. That's what Ava was in actuality, boring. She didn't go out with friends, mostly because she lacked them.
Her constantly moving due to being placed in different foster homes made it difficult maintaining friendships.
In order to avoid being lonely, Ava would read stories that would take her to a new place, a new adventure with each one she read. She's probably read well over five-hundred books in her  lifetime. It didn't matter if the subject was a book on Latin or Twilight - if Ava could get her hands on it, she read it.
Actually hearing from a book character that she was supposed to be in the Harry Potter series would be a dream come true if Ava was not certain she was currently inside a mental institution right now. Maybe that's why her birth parents gave her up for adoption - they knew from the get go something wasn't quite right with her.
"Ava," she finally said, annoyed with Dumbledore's constantly calling her Avalon.
"Ava," said Dumbledore, as if adjusting to how the name flowed from his tongue. "A shortened name. It quite fits you."
"I'm insane." Ava shrugged, throwing her arms up before allowing them to drop next to her  on the couch. "That lightning bolt was obviously just the right thing to push me over the mental edge." She nodded seriously. "I bet you're actually my doctor, and the rest of the Weasley's, Sirius, Remus and Hermione are other mental patients or orderlies. I'm not even in Grimmauld Place, I'm actually in the loony bin-"
"I assure you miss Black, you are not in a loony bin." Dumbledore interrupted her rant, chuckling softly at the end his sentence. "I must say, I was beginning to believe you would never make your way back to the wizarding world."

"Well, I'm glad I didn't disappoint." Ava snorted, crossing her arms. She couldn't quite decide whether she was insane or trapped in a book. It was probably insanity if she truly believed she was trapped in a story, however.
"As am I, there is much to still discuss," said Dumbedore, a strange look suddenly to him. Ava could tell there seemed to be something he did not seem to know how to say.
"You were not abandoned, Ava, even if you believe so." He nodded. "Your mother wished for you a different life, one of which was no way connected to your father."

"And she...came across the long-lost time turner of Godric Gryffindor, and that propelled her to the year 2000. She then moved to New York city, upon immigrating to America. Estelle apparently died, leaving me to bounce around foster care for over fifteen years until one day a bolt of lightning struck my locket, transporting me to the eve of Harry Potter's birthday twenty-one years in the past. Do I hear you right?" said Ava, crossing her arms once more.
It was easily  the dumbest thing Ava had ever heard. This was the type of story that belonged in some strange fanfiction on Wattpad due to the horrible plot line.
"Yes." Dumbledore answered simply. "You are still skeptical, however?"