Chapter 1

Beth's POV:

Today was the day I would finally be moving into my new apartment! I was so excited and relieved to finally be getting my own place just to do what ducks do. Hehe.

I, Sqaishey Quack, would actually have a life of her own! After my intentions to move out for so long, the day was finally here. We had minor setbacks, but it wasn't anything we couldn't overcome.

My mum has been very protective of me since my dad became an alcoholic. He didn't use to be this way. He started drinking out with his friends, without mum knowing. She eventually found out, trying to prevent me from enduring my father's psychotic behavior. But it didn't stop him, even when mum was around.

She was planning on me getting my own place to live for a long time, but we had to keep concealing all of this from my father, whom would end up finding me eventually. But, when he left for a 3-month business trip, my mum and I started this plan in action. I got a part-time job, started saving up all the allowance I could receive.

I snapped back out of my thoughts when I saw my mum waving towards me, sprinting towards the car.

"Bethany!!! you almost forgot something!"

In her hands, she was holding a yellow plush ducky.

"Oh goodness!!! I can't forget him!!!" I took him from my mother's hands, giving him a small squeeze. He was the little thing that's been there with me through all my life experiences, from a little baby until now.

As I packed him into my small carry-on bag, I glanced one last time at the house that held all of my memories since I was born. As I slid into the passenger seat, I closed the car door behind me with a sigh. As my mum got in the driver's seat, she noticed my dazed state.

"I will definitely miss my little duckie." she smiled, tears welling in her eyes. Of course, they were happy ones, but she was still wistful.

I blinked back tears as I fastened my seatbelt, returning her gaze sorrowfully.

"I will too mum." I smiled. She patted my knee and then started up the car.

As we backed out of the driveway, I peered out the window, looking everywhere but the house. As we drove off, I decided that it was going to be a fresh start for me. All of the memories, good or bad, I was gonna leave behind in that house. I looked at my mum, who still had tears glistening in her eyes, but she looked back at me smiling.

I smiled right back. This, was my new beginning.

~Time skip~

After maybe about 45 minutes of a drive, we finally pulled up to the new apartment complex they just finished in the spring. It would be the first time anyone lived in that apartment room! It lifted my spirits.

"We're here!!!!!!" I exclaim excitedly as I look out of my window at it. Brand new everything!! the siding was a pleasant tan color, the base a nice brick pattern. Even the concrete stairs looked clean, with no cracks or strange color spots. As we parked the car, I immediately hopped out, opening the trunk to get my stuff. Once I got all of my things in, my mum gave me a big hug.

"I'll make sure to keep in touch." my mom assured me. We exchanged our goodbyes.

After she had left, I began to set up my home phone and my Xbox in the midst of unpacking everything, which took a couple of hours. Then, I slipped off my shoes, logged on to my PC, and began playing my main series, Feather Adventures.

I started the world after Quacktopia, which unfortunately crashed. But then I created Feather adventures and I love it so much more! I was in the middle of making a duck pond in the garden when my phone rang.

I picked it up with no hesitation and answered. 

"Hello?" A slight pause.

"Hey, Beth it's me!" I let out the breath I was holding. I don't know why I was so anxious, I had forgotten that I had told my boyfriend I was moving and that he told me he would give me a call today.

"Oh, hey Alex! I just got settled into my new place!"

Another pause before he continued. "So how are you liking your new apartment?"

I took a look around, proud of the work I had done to the place. "I am seriously in LOVE with it!"

"That's great! I'm happy for you Beth." I noticed his somewhat off tone, but I decided to ignore it. I didn't want to overthink things, I was really happy today. He proceeded, changing his tone as if he had noticed. "So I was thinking in maybe two weeks I can come see you?"

My doubts clearing, I respond. "Oh that would be great!"

"Ok. bye sweetie!"

"Bye Alex. I-" But before I could finish, a click on the other line signified that he had hung up.

Hmm... That was strange. He usually says "I love you" to me every night, or at least lets me say it. 

Oh well, I pondered to myself, maybe he is just busy. He should call me back later. When he's standoffish like that, I always assume he's busy. He's always talking about his work, after all, he is a really important man. That alone should make me proud. But he always calls me back to assure me, so I wasn't too bothered.

I went to sleep making sure I was asleep by the phone, in case he called so I didn't miss it.

He didn't call back.